Driving 20 Common Anode RGB LEDs - Having Trouble Getting Started

PropForge

Joined Mar 5, 2016
I have a project in the works that I would like to add lighting to; as of now, I want to end-light 10 horseshoe-shaped ribs from either end, so 20 RGB LEDs total. The problem I'm having is that I just don't know where to begin.

My requirements are as such:

20 RGB LEDs (common anode, spec'd at 20mA each R:2-2.2V and GB:3-3.2V)
All LEDs are same color mix during animation
Driven via battery (9v, AAs, etc)
Arduino interface

My preferences and nice-to-haves:

Adjust LED brightness via software (animation becomes brighter every cycle)
Adjust color-mixing via switch/pot
Individually controlled (rather than paired-only)
Avoid individual resistors for each LED leg (constant current)
Uses a Pro Micro as I have extras begging to be used

Off the bat, I was thinking I could kluge something together using MAX7219s I have on hand, but as those are meant for 8x8 common cathode, I thought to look for something a bit simpler.

I then considered 74HC595s, but I'd have to add discreet components I'd rather avoid, unless I'm missing something.

Going with the idea of shift registers, I found the TLC5940, but even it seems to have some idiosyncrasies, so I'm not sure if it's worth it.

My thinking is, if I am using the same color on all the LEDs at the same time, I could use 3 PWM signals off the Arduino to all the LEDs, and switch them on and off through their common anode. I just have no clue what direction to go in. RGB LEDs in an arrangement is new ground for me, so I plead a fair amount of ignorance. Every example I come across just seems wildly different, I can't seem to find common traits to work from.

PropForge

Joined Mar 5, 2016
I think you need to flesh out your project a little more, and ask specific questions.
Using an Arduino Pro Micro, and without delving into the realm of WS2812-connected LEDs, what would be an efficient way be to drive 20 common anode RGB LEDs at 20mA with the following conditions:

1) Brightness control via software
2) Color control via software on-the-fly
3) All 20 LEDs are the same color at any one time
4) Battery-powered
5) Minimal passive components

PropForge

Joined Mar 5, 2016
I've opted to use addressable LEDs instead of trying to kluge something together, so this thread can be locked/deleted.