Dreams of electronics engineers &hobbyists

Willen

Joined Nov 13, 2015
Hi, I am talking about real dream during sleeping. Maybe for many engineers and hobbyists, electronics is a kind of addiction. So probably they dream about electronics too. I am curious what kind of dreams you all get. I guess your dreams are based on your learning level, available things, surroundings etc.

I am a hobbyist and my frequent dream is: I get many old kits (boards) thrown around roads/dust-bins and I collect them with a lot of excitement, to scrap parts from these old boards. :)

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I haven't remembered my dreams for several years now. I think it's because my sleep cycle is hardly ever interrupted now. And I don't mean disturbing a sleep pattern, I have none.

What I mean is that I am not woken up........I wake up.

When I was younger and in school, I had friends tell me that when I was dreaming.....my hands pretended to work a slide rule. I never could recall dreaming about slide rules, and always found that hard to believe.

My best recalled dreams was flying....superman style.

http://sliderulemuseum.com/SR_Course.htm

thisguy1

Joined Aug 18, 2016
Sometimes I dream up some cool things but then I always forget. Sometimes I will wake up and write them down but then never look at them again lol

Willen

Joined Nov 13, 2015
Some time I dream about shopping parts in a shop where I can buy all parts. I use cellphone to see datasheet and I buy many more useful parts.
The electronics dreams are VERY enjoyable! And when I wake up with empty hand, it's VERY regretting moment.

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
I still dream of two things (and both are really disappointing)
  1. I get loads of free parts and things to play with. Turns out its a dream
  2. I find some cool solution to a project (makes sense in the dream). Wake up finding that either I can't remember the solution or it was just all pretend
Mind you these are 10% of my dreams I can remember. Most dreams tend to be things that make me awe (like standing in front of a tornado or something totally random). I have had a few of my workshop being blown down (they are some of the most upsetting).

Willen

Joined Nov 13, 2015
[*]I get loads of free parts and things to play with.
I have never seen such dream. Probably the best dream ever seen. Last night I had found some free unused parts along with old kits/boards in a dust-bin.

Most dreams tend to be things that make me awe (like standing in front of a tornado or something totally random). I have had a few of my workshop being blown down (they are some of the most upsetting).
And ghosts attack me sometime. :)

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I don't dream of electronics, but I often awake in the morning with a viable solution to a problem I couldn't solve the night before.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Hi, I am talking about real dream during sleeping. Maybe for many engineers and hobbyists, electronics is a kind of addiction. So probably they dream about electronics too.
Wow. In all my years in electronics (I took it up as a hobby back in 1958 as a 9 year old kid building a crystal radio), I don't recall EVER having had a dream about electronics.

I am curious what kind of dreams you all get.
At one time or another, I've dreamed about:
  1. Voluptuous, friendly, fun-loving blondes
  2. Voluptuous, friendly, fun-loving brunettes
  3. Forgetting where I put something (car keys, etc.)
  4. Being inadequately clothed in public
  5. Forgetting to do something others had expected me to do
  6. Being late for an event
  7. Being somewhere I wasn't supposed to be
  8. Not being somewhere I was supposed to be
  9. Being in some sort of "damned if I do, damned if I don't" situation
  10. Being in temporally impossible situations (e.g., parents deceased, but getting a phone call from them inviting me over for dinner)
  11. Being lost
In other words, the usual stuff...

Willen

Joined Nov 13, 2015
Wow. In all my years in electronics (I took it up as a hobby back in 1958 as a 9 year old kid building a crystal radio), I don't recall EVER having had a dream about electronics.
Amazing! I think dreams are some reflections of our daily work and thought. Sometime if we watch horror movie, we dream horror event.

I never got solution in dream but amazing thing is that during some of the horror or painful dream, I was worrying too much. When tension goes so high, I get a kind of information like- "it's just a dream, then why I am worrying? When I wake up, all will be restore to the default factory setting!" :) Then I wake up too.

[*]Being late for an event
This one might be a very common scene, people use for dream. :) It seems that to dream, we choose most of the problematic and unrealistic events.

Maybe dream is a cartoon show of our life where everything is possible. We can jump from moon, we can fly, we can cut our parts of body, we can die, we can fix a meeting with ghosts, we can marry to a beautiful celebrity... in dream.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I dream about things that can't be mentioned in a forum like this one but I can say they are very enjoyable! ;)

Outside of those dreams most are just strange random whatevers of which I rather enjoy that sort of stuff too. :)

Then there's the lucid dreaming where I am aware it's a dream and I can go totally nuts at will !!!! :eek::cool:

(Awake or asleep the world inside my head is a fun place!):D

Last edited:

DGElder

Joined Apr 3, 2016
.....I had friends tell me that when I was dreaming.....my hands pretended to work a slide rule.

Sometimes a slide rule is just a slide rule......:rolleyes:

NOT!