Doorjamb Switch with 24volt Relay?

dwayne

Joined Apr 28, 2008
Hi, I have a home project where I want to put door jamb switches in my work room that turn on the 120volt lights when I open the double doors. I have GE 24volt ball switches and a white-rodgers #90-118E Fan Control Unit that has transformed relay. (Usually use in A/C & Heating) My question is what wires go where. When I open the doors I want to contact the relay to open the 120volt feed to the lights.

The relay has a white wire and a black wire on the transfomer side. It has two sets of pigtail wires (red&black) on the relay side. The Fan Controller is from Grainger #1N182

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Hi, I have a home project where I want to put door jamb switches in my work room that turn on the 120volt lights when I open the double doors. I have GE 24volt ball switches and a white-rodgers #90-118E Fan Control Unit that has transformed relay. (Usually use in A/C & Heating) My question is what wires go where. When I open the doors I want to contact the relay to open the 120volt feed to the lights.

The relay has a white wire and a black wire on the transfomer side. It has two sets of pigtail wires (red&black) on the relay side. The Fan Controller is from Grainger #1N182
check this site http://www.white-rodgers.com/wrdhom/pdfs/04_Cat_pages/04_Cat_pg_106.pdf

techroomt

Joined May 19, 2004
looks like you'll need to supply the transformer with 120vac for starters. then install your door switch in series with the relay coil, you didn't say if they were normally open or normally closed. lastly place a set of your normally open or mormall closed relay contacts where your light switch was. which contacts you use will depend on the door switch contacts you have. realize your transformer primary will be powered 24/7. to be thrifty (green) you could cut power to it when the door is closed.