Don't know where to start on this project.

HappyDemon

Joined Oct 26, 2016
I have been tasked with a project that I'm sure is simple but I still feel its beyond my skill level. I could really use some guidance/advice/help/anything.

The project is to create a device that has an adjustable timer from 0.5 seconds to 10 seconds with the accuracy of +/-10 milliseconds. After the predetermined time it will need to be able to send between 3 - 7 VDC with the current of 1amp.

Some other requirement or things to be noted:
Has to be battery powered.
Could sit dormant for days to months (so turning it on and off would be an option I assume).
The timer will start when a button is pressed or a jumper is pulled.

At this point I found out I know enough, to know that I don't know nearly enough. I'm a software programming and I have build a few CNC machines. Most of the stuff I have made have plenty of documentation. It was really just like putting together legos with pre-made circuits(ie: drivers and controllers). Because of the things I made my co-workers assume I can make my own circuits and devices, which I'm sure I can, but not with the limited knowledge I currently have. That's why I'm here looking some one to point me in the right direction so I can live up to the expectation that I never met to set. Plus it can't hurt to learn something it new, that part is always exciting.

Thanks in advance

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Since you have some programming experience, take a look at Microchip's curiosity board. $20 plus a USB cable and the free MPLABX / XC8 C compiler and you are on your way. It even includes the programmer and debugger. You can sleep the processor to save power while you wait for the button then do a simple timing routine to drive a relay or whatever you need. You might need to cut and splice a bit for battery power - see the schematics in the docs.

http://www.microchip.com/Developmenttools/ProductDetails.aspx?PartNO=DM164137