Don’t talk to aliens, warns Stephen Hawking

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
15,819
You have to be careful when the aliens talk to you -
"Klaatu barada nikto"
- is not what Klaatu said. Ref. "Return of the Master", by Harry Bates (1937).

-I should add that that is the short story that "The Day the Earth Stood Still" was based on.
 

Thread Starter

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
505
You have to be careful when the aliens talk to you - - is not what Klaatu said. Ref. "Return of the Master", by Harry Bates (1937).

-I should add that that is the short story that "The Day the Earth Stood Still" was based on.
thank you for the enlightening.

After some research and reading the story, I am sadened that I saw the movie a zillion times befor reading it.
Imagination is more powerful than the silver screen.

the link is to the short story. Great reading!
http://thenostalgialeague.com/olmag/bates-farewell-to-the-master.html

About the story:

"Astounding Science Fiction
Oct. 1940
Outside of his editorial contributions, it is most likely that Bates would be totally forgotten today if it were not for his short story, "Farewell to the Master." Published in the Oct. 1940 issue of Astounding, the story did not even rate a cover blurb, being overshadowed by A.E. Van Vogt's Slan. Eventually, the story was made into the film The Day The Earth Stood Still, but the story only formed the basic premise of the film and was changed in many ways.
In the original story presented here, astute readers will notice that Gort does not appear, his name in the story is Gnut. The famous phrase, "Klaatu Barada Nikto" is also absent and there is no love interest for Klatuu; that sub-plot was an invention for the film. What most will find revelatory is the ending of the story which, without giving anything away, is a wonderful twist by Bates on the science fiction conventions of the time and, over 60 years later, still reflects on the perceptions that are sometimes a shortcoming of our all too human condition."
 

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
5,934
I saw documentary on ABC television named "V". They are already here, and have been among us for many years. It is to late I am afraid:p
 

count_volta

Joined Feb 4, 2009
435
I found proof that the government is hiding them!!!

When the U.S. entered the war in Europe, Ellis Island was used to detain crews from German merchant ships anchored in New York Harbor. Suspected enemy aliens throughout America were rounded up and brought to Ellis Island.
Fails to mention that he has once visited Ellis Island and is officially an alien according to his papers. whistles and walks (flies) away.
 
Top