Does this kind of switch exist?

Veracohr

Joined Jan 3, 2011
I want to find a rotary switch if it exists, which connects a succession of inputs to the common pin without breaking any connection when you go to the next position. For example, in position 1 it should connect only pin 1 to common; in position 2 it should connect pins 1 and 2 to the common; in position 3 it should connect pins 1-3 to the common, and so on.

I want to connect from 1 to 8 signals to a summing amplifier with a manual rotary switch. The signals will always be present but I want to use a rotary switch to select how many to sum and send to the output. I don't know if such a switch exists.

If it doesn't, I'll probably use a DIP switch, but I like the idea of a rotary. I'm also thinking of eventually using analog switches with control circuitry and a rotary control.

Veracohr

Joined Jan 3, 2011
Exactly, thanks.

Unfortunately that PDF says they only offer that up to 6 positions, and its a custom order. I'm only looking for a one-off solution at the moment. My guess is any other manufacturer will also offer that only as a custom order.

noweare

Joined Jun 30, 2017
I think a wafer switch would work, the first wafer connect pin 1 to common. You turn the switch to position 2, the 2nd wafter connect 2 and 1 to common, turn to 3, the third wafer connect 1,2,3 etc....

ebp

Joined Feb 8, 2018
Alcoswitch might have something, but I rather doubt it. Progressive shorting switches have never been popular, and elaborate rotary switches are generally becoming something of a thing of the past.

Analog switches do require care to prevent excessive error due to ON resistance. Sometimes circuitry along this line is done using magnetic reed switches (relays).

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
A micro controlling two CD4066 or their modern equivalent? The micro should read a common rotary switch.

Am I too off track?