What kind of power cord does this require? NI ELVIS

ECC83

Joined Jan 6, 2013
This is National Instrument's NI ELVIS Prototyping unit. I'm having trouble finding out what kind of power cord this requires. It seems to have one pin missing, however on opening it up, it seems that there's no physical connection to the board from where the missing pin is anyway so it's just 5 pins.

I looked it up on their website but it just gives a generic description saying 240V 10 Power cord for $12.

ECC83

Joined Jan 6, 2013
Hmm, I saw that one too, it seems to be one of their own connectors. Found the same thing on eBay and I don't recognise the connector.

Would have loved to use this, but I'm not going to pay $100 for a connector when I'm not sure this will even work.

I'm guessing based on the specifications it must be ±15V, 5V and GND pins.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Looks like an AMP MTA-156 connector. (or the cheap-o versions like in the above jameco links.. Just need to know pin/pin spacing.. (prob .156" or .100" for the MTA-100 series)

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007

ECC83

Joined Jan 6, 2013
Oooh, that was heaps useful guys!

The breadboard comes out easily, however that gives no information on the connection. It's the rear panel that I removed and took a look inside, but that gave nothing either.

I will try those tips and see what I can get from it.

My next question though is what kind of adapter/power-supply will provide all 3 outputs? Looking at that eBay link, it looks somewhat like a laptop adapter, but clearly it isn't.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
There are new power supplies available with all three voltages, but they will cost $50 or more. You can do the same thing with three separate wall warts for a lot cheaper. Maybe even free if you in your friends' and families' junk drawers for old chargers.

Ken

I you still have the NI Elvis This is what I've done to get 5V on the expierment board and the lights to light up. If you count the pins from Let to Right it goes 1 blank 2 3 4 5 6 . Put ground on pin 5 and 6.5vdc on pin 4 expect to see a 1.5 amp draw when the power switch is on and 1 amp when its, off. All this aside it wasts allot of power doing nothing which tells me to buy the OEM supply. This is what im going to do. Pick the 5v chips and power one of them at the chip the rest will follow. next ill give the XR ic its voltage. last ill hook all powers to their accompanying fuses on the input sides. their are medical power supplies that have a nice hearty 5 volt line with both + and - supplies made by SL power and run about $37.00. Don't give up and have some fun.
Regards

I you still have the NI Elvis This is what I've done to get 5V on the expierment board and the lights to light up. If you count the pins from Let to Right it goes 1 blank 2 3 4 5 6 . Put ground on pin 5 and 6.5vdc on pin 4 expect to see a 1.5 amp draw when the power switch is on and 1 amp when its, off. All this aside it wasts allot of power doing nothing which tells me to buy the OEM supply. This is what im going to do. Pick the 5v chips and power one of them at the chip the rest will follow. next ill give the XR ic its voltage. last ill hook all powers to their accompanying fuses on the input sides. their are medical power supplies that have a nice hearty 5 volt line with both + and - supplies made by SL power and run about $37.00. Don't give up and have some fun.
Regards
The power supply im using is an integrated Power designs SRP-40A-4003 +- 12v +- 5v

The power supply I'm using is an integrated Power designs SRP-40A-4003 +- 12v +- 5v This allowed me to find the bad IC U11 the Power connections ar from left to right 1 blank 2 3 4 5 6 1=+15v 3=-15v 4=+5v 5=Common
not sure what pin 6 does. I also read that the OEM power supply is complicated and has the variable power supplies on it. "Thats, crap" Mine work just fine as hooked up.
sorry to have taken so long to get all this on line. Mom had dinner ready.