Does frequency impact EC (electronically commutated) motor performance? Does a 60 vs 50hz input matter?

cherynk

Joined Feb 3, 2016
I am operating a woodworking power tool (a special saw) which was purchased in the UK (where they use 50hz), while here in the US I know we use 60hz. The motor on the tool has a EC (electronically commutated) motor.

From what I have been reading, this frequency discrepancy does not negatively impact the performance and longevity of EC motors due to fact that a computer controlled board is moderating the incoming voltage and frequency. Please correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that this 'computer moderation' is essentially providing the motor with what it requires to operate effectively regardless of a small change in input power frequency (i.e. 60hz input vs 50hz).

A conventional AC motor would turn 20% faster or slower with such a change in frequency, correct? However this EC motor should perform no differently whether it sees 50 or 60hz on the input?

This is a relatively costly tool, so I am trying to make sure I dont need to use a frequency converter in order to get the max longevity and performance from the tool.

Thank you in advance for your time and information.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The frequency of the supply should not matter in this case, as the frequency is separately generated by the internal controller and is independent of the supply.
The frequency would only make a difference on synchronous/asynchronous AC motors powered direct.
Max.

cherynk

Joined Feb 3, 2016
Just out of curiosity, what happens if you would power the motor with a different voltage. That is to say, hook such a motor up to 120v even though it is rated at 240v.

In this case its getting only half the voltage from only having one leg, however drawing more amperage to compensate (15 amps instead of 7.5 amps). Other than the feed wiring being undersized for that amount of current, would the EC controller theoretically still generate the proper output for the motor?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If truly a ECM motor, it could be AC or BLDC, the motors are practically identical, just the way they are commutated.
Typically if the low voltage control circuit remained stable but the H.V. was reduced, it most likely would just run with less power.
It would all depend on the design.
Not sure what you mean by "only one leg'?
You cannot connect this type of motor directly to 1ph AC.
Max.