Does anyone use fountain pens?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Is anyone a fan of fountain pens? I carry a Kaweco Sport, the plastic one. I am considering the brass version, but it's "raw" and I wonder how it works in the pocket. Does the oxide that forms stain things? It is practical?

Do you carry something else?

The Kaweco has been consistent. It writes quickly, and doesn't leak.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I don't generally carry any writing implement.
At home I mostly use a pencil but I also have a uni-ball.
I use Zebra F-402 ballpoints and Micron markers for lab notebooks. But for signatures, and general note taking, I use a fountain pen because I really like the way it writes, and the mechanics of it.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Haven't used a fountain pen since I had one leak. Most of the ones I have are for calligraphy and use cartridges. I have a Eberhard Faber with a sack and lever for refilling. Besides not having a bottle of ink, I'm not sure I'd trust it to not leak.

EDIT: Checked the pen and I couldn't use it even if I wanted to. The ink reservoir has hardened. Doubt that I could find a replacement refill assembly. The pen is WWII vintage.

I was thinking of getting back in to calligraphy when I retired to improve my penmanship. Didn't need to do that because I'm keeping journals and using script instead of printing in all caps (a habit I picked up while I was studying electronics). I use the cheapest pens I can find that don't dry out relatively quickly. I wait for back-to-school season and buy boxes of BIC stick pens for $1. I like gel pens because the ink flows easily and they don't clog, but I only get a couple dozen pages out of a pen.

Last edited:

xox

Joined Sep 8, 2017
Is anyone a fan of fountain pens? I carry a Kaweco Sport, the plastic one. I am considering the brass version, but it's "raw" and I wonder how it works in the pocket. Does the oxide that forms stain things? It is practical?

No but I hear my great-great-great grandfather was a big fan of them. Not sure what brand he used though...

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008

I have a number of fountain pens....and a HUGE number of calligraphy pens. :)

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I recall when the ball point pen came out when I was at school, Not sure how my parents afforded my first, a Bic style, 10 shillings which in today's money is CAN$50.00!:eek:
Max.