Does anyone know the technical name for this edge connector?

AgentSmithers

Joined Jan 14, 2011
https://usa.banggood.com/WIFI-Modul...jBx2CswDhEAkYCCABEgK_l_D_BwE&cur_warehouse=CN

I see PCB's made with this female pin connector but can never seem to find the terminology for it as compared to an Edge connector, which is not what this is normally known for.

When these daughter boards are applied to its main board do these snap-in or are they soldered in as well? It almost seems that the formfactor of these boards are made for snapping in place?

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
These are soldered in, the connection type on the top pcb is called castellations, and it is an easy way to manufacture the top board and also an easy way to solder one pcb on top of another, normal pads and solder paste on the bottom pcb are ok and solder reliably.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
That depends on whether your are referring to the "connector" on the reader's left edge or the castellations on the other two sides. To me a solder connection is a not a "connector" in the sense that it can be removed easily.

Clear questions get better answers.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
That depends on whether your are referring to the "connector" on the reader's left edge or the castellations on the other two sides. To me a solder connection is a not a "connector" in the sense that it can be removed easily.

Clear questions get better answers.
Hmm, I see a wireless module with an antenna on the top left, and castellations on the remaining sides?

AgentSmithers

Joined Jan 14, 2011
Perfect, Yes it's the Castellations. I wounder, if I can rig some sort of snap-in for these considering the holds, are accessible from the outside of the board.
Thanks for your feed back!

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I really doubt that, but maybe the pin pitch is some standard number. For me for prototyping it would be easiest to either etch a smd to pin daughter board, or just glue it to an universal pcb and "bondwire" the pads to where I need them.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008