Does anyone have experience working out of state?

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I'm considering a permanent position that's out of my state. Jobs in my town are becoming hard to find. There is a perfectly good opportunity, but it's in Mississippi, about a 300 mile drive. I have lived in northern Alabama for 11 years and have made a home here for myself. I can envision a scenario whereby I live in Mississippi during the work week, and return to my home on the weekends. Has anyone else tried this? Is there any good advice you can give?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Are you married? I know of a gentleman who realized his dream, and became a dean of a college that is doing something similar. His wife is holding the fort while he is gone. I don't know how his is managing costs, seems expensive to me.

K7GUH

Joined Jan 28, 2011
If you have the option of taking part of your compensation as "per diem expenses", do so while you are commuting. A tax adviser can tell you why and how this is an advantage. The advantage is good, in most cases, for up to a year.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Are you married? I know of a gentleman who realized his dream, and became a dean of a college that is doing something similar. His wife is holding the fort while he is gone. I don't know how his is managing costs, seems expensive to me.
I'm engaged, and soon to marry. We are talking about the same thing: she'll hold down the fort while I"m gone. If I go, that is. The cost is a huge factor. The extra money I'll earn will be chewed up with the extra cost, and them some.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
If you have the option of taking part of your compensation as "per diem expenses", do so while you are commuting. A tax adviser can tell you why and how this is an advantage. The advantage is good, in most cases, for up to a year.
Thanks. Looks like I'll be using a tax service for the first time. :)

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
My sister and her husband has done this for several years. They have a beautiful house by the sea in a nice small town, and a small apartment in Oslo, where he lives in the week. It shall be mentioned that he is a partner in the company he works in, so I think the company is paying for the bunk. One of the advantages is that he work long hours, so he takes Fridays and Mondays off. Besides taking long vacation.

I'd say go for the job!

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@ Brownout,I will say most employer's will require you to get a driver license

from the state you are being employed. Most of all the new state will want you

have new D.L. for many reasons. Now adays it not easy to cross state lines.

If you get pull over before you make changes,you might have to do a lot talking.

Check all that stuff with your new state.

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I've never worked a couple of states away from my spouse, but I did have to leave her on the other side of the world for 10 months while I worked here. This was only a couple of months after we got married, newlyweds. It was the hardest thing ever. I hope I never have to do it again. Working a few states away where you can go home on 3 day weekends might make it easier but I still wouldn't do it.