Do you think that this application need a snubber? Still can't decide.

Xavier Pacheco Paulino

Joined Oct 21, 2015
Hello,

As some of you have seen in some of my previous posts, I've trying to design by myself a PMDC Brushed Motor controller for treadmill purposes. The reason why I'm creating another thread is because I don't want to mix old information with the updated project. Attached you can find the nameplate of my motor, and the official schematics about the power stage. In the schematics you can see the components that I have selected for the PCB. I don't attach the microprocessor stage, it will just simply output the PWM signal, process speed signal, current measurements, (adjustment of duty cycle according to load) and other minors functions.

PWM frequency: 10 kHz. but it may vary depending on the performance in empirical tests. The microprocessor will be a STM32 nucleo, so 3.3V port voltage.

I haven't simulated this circuit. I want to make a PCB to take some real measurements. This is a first prototype for a college project. It's hard to expect that everything will work at first attempt. So I expect to make further improvements.

That was a brief introduction. The reason of this post is for you to give suggestions about the design, and help me determine if I need a snubber across the MOSFET, and what kind if needed (RC, RCD, etc). I haven't found a solid guideline to design a proper one.

Attachments

Last edited: