Do i need this zener diode?

Paulnoviceb

Joined Jan 23, 2016
Hi, sorry real novice here. Wondered if I could seek some advice. Just purchased a new 12v capstan motor to fix a cassette deck, an alternative brand of motor as the one I needed is no longer available. I have the task of de-soldering old motor connections and soldering to new motor but old motor has what I'm told is possibly a zener diode (I sent pic to the supplier of old motor). The supplier says not to bother putting this diode on the new motor. Does that sound plausible? There are holes in board that would accommodate it, but not sure what to do. The old motor was the original for this cassette deck, complete with this diode whatever it maybe (although having Googled zener diodes, I'm reasonably happy that it is a zener diode).

Paulnoviceb

Joined Jan 23, 2016
This is the component (hopefully I've attached a pic here).

Paulnoviceb_1453578893222_essential.jpg

Moderators note : reduced the picture to its essentials, we do not need the very large white space

Last edited by a moderator:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Maybe the supplier meant it was not needed as if the motor is switch off when turning, the generated voltage is reverse biasing the diode anyway?
Max.

Paulnoviceb

Joined Jan 23, 2016
He advised not to fit the "zener diode" so I'm a bit dubious of his advice in light of what you guys n gals have certified it as. A Back Emf diode you say, could it be possible I don't need this on an alternative motor to my existing, or is it not a crucial component to the workings in general maybe? Or could it be detrimental if I don't fit for that matter?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Motors are pretty rugged devices, although diodes across them are usually meant for the circuit it is being controlled by, what is the technology of the motor? DC brushed or?
Max.

Paulnoviceb

Joined Jan 23, 2016
I'm guessing Yes dC brushed, but I know only little of motors sorry. It's a Mabuchi EG-530AD-2B. It's to replace a Matshushita MMI-6S2LK. It's a 3 head Teac tape deck I've had a long time that looks pristine so I'm trying to get it running again.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Looks the same size, as long as it spins at the same speed should be ok, try it and see.

Ahhh nice pics of steam train through Preston...chuff chuff