DMX project for controlling flexible LED strip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

loesvan

Joined Sep 23, 2011
Hello,
I have made a project for controlling RGB flexible LED strip. It's a three channel DMX controller that i want to put to give some color to my business. It uses a PIC16F628A with a code that i downloaded from the web. It all works perfectly, the only problem is that when the outputs are low, the LEDs flicker a lot, the brightness is not stable. The potentiometer scale of the DMX table goes from 0 to 255. When I move the pot, from 0 to 50 i get the flickering and from 50 and up it's perfect. I have made many test and i know that the problem is with the ASM code but i don't know how to solve it. You can see the attached code and video.
Any help on how to make this work properly will be really appreciated.

Many thanks, Ana
:

Attachments

MMcLaren

Joined Feb 14, 2010
May I ask, (1) what is the clock speed, and, (2) what is the serial baud rate, please? Is it 20-MHz and 250 kbps?

If you don't know the answer to those questions or you don't understand those questions, could you post a link to the original project, please?

Last edited:

loesvan

Joined Sep 23, 2011
May I ask, (1) what is the clock speed, and, (2) what is the serial baud rate, please? Is it 20-MHz and 250 kbps?

If you don't know the answer to those questions or you don't understand those questions, could you post a link to the original project, please?
Hello,
The clock speed is 20MHz but i don't know the baud rate. I downloaded the code from this link. It's a Spanish site.
I attached the ASM code and the circuit.
http://www.todopic.com.ar/foros/index.php?topic=19635.0
Thanks
Ana

Attachments

loesvan

Joined Sep 23, 2011
Hello,
I have made a project for controlling RGB flexible LED strip. It's a three channel DMX controller that i want to put to give some color to my business. It uses a PIC16F628A with a code that i downloaded from the web. It all works perfectly, the only problem is that when the outputs are low, the LEDs flicker a lot, the brightness is not stable. The potentiometer scale of the DMX table goes from 0 to 255. When I move the pot, from 0 to 50 i get the flickering and from 50 and up it's perfect. I have made many test and i know that the problem is with the ASM code but i don't know how to solve it. You can see the attached code and video.
Any help on how to make this work properly will be really appreciated.

Many thanks, Ana
:
I made a video of how the LEDs flicker.

I made a video so you can see how the LEDs flicker. You can see that when i pull up the lever the LEDs stop flicker

I made a video so you can see how the LEDs flicker. You can see that when i pull up the lever the flickering stops

Attachments

loesvan

Joined Sep 23, 2011
I made a video of how the LEDs flicker.

I made a video so you can see how the LEDs flicker. You can see that when i pull up the lever the LEDs stop flicker

I made a video so you can see how the LEDs flicker. You can see that when i pull up the lever the flickering stops
Sorry for repeating i am new here and i still don't know how this works

loesvan

Joined Sep 23, 2011
I have been doing some test and i found out that the flickering problem is produced by the interrupts. I inserted a loop in the ASM code just after the label "Main" so that one of the outputs will light the LEDs very dim, without having anything to do with DMX and the LEDs still flickers. If i disconnect the interrupts (INTCON,GIE) the LEDs Stops flickering.
Can someone please help me.
Thanks Ana

This is the loop i inserted for testing:
Main
MOVF 1,W
XORWF 255,W
BTFSC STATUS,Z
BSF OUT2
BCF OUT2
GOTO Main

Status
Not open for further replies.