DIY Wifi module need help arduino compatible

ExpL0siV3Man79

Joined Jun 4, 2018

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
If you want to make your own, there is no way you can keep it simple. You either use something off the shelf or start on a very long, steep learning curve.
You can find out which of the three above best suits your application by comparing the spec sheets. If you don't understand the specs, then pick the least expensive one. Good luck.

It's difficult to answer your question at this point. There are some thoughts and suggestions I would like to express though that could be of some help.

I hear you that you want to DYI and don't want to buy a module, but each of those links does, in fact, point to a module. Search for decapping an ESP8266 for example.

You are basically trying to determine whether an ESP32 is better for you than an ESP8266. With no other information, I could probably say that it doesn't matter, but an ESP32 is a more modern, faster, module and has bluetooth as well. But, none of that matters unless you start thinking about the programming.

The ESP8266, in all its varieties (I don't know maybe 13-14 of them by now) can be used basically as a stand-alone microprocessor or as a serial device. Given a number of different options for programming it as a stand-alone device (Arduino, Lua, et al), depending upon what you want to do, there may be no reason to use an ATMEGA or an Arduino.

If you absolutely want to expand the simple Arduino UNO, for example, to include some WiFi capabilities using an ESP, then you should probably be thinking about using the AT command set. To use those commands, you are simply communicating with the ESP by writing to and reading from a serial port. You can actually get a lot done doing that - check out the reference for the ESP32 AT command set (there are other refs for the 8266). Of course, either way, the module you choose needs to be programmed for using the AT commands (most are by default).

The interface is really quite simple - you need a good solid 3.3 supply, a reset switch, a programming switch and a couple of resistors. That's all you need at a minimum (also a USB/serial board for programming).

"Modules", like this one for the 8266, or this one for the 32, just make those parts easy.

I guess what it amounts to is that until you can get a better idea of what the "I" in DIY is, you will be ok with any of the ones you linked, but I would push you toward the 32. On the other hand, if you are just starting out with them, there is much more support for the straight 8266 (although I suspect that anything you can do with an 8266 can be done with a 32, but not the other way around).

Hope this helps.

A simple search on Digikey produces 589 hits https://www.digikey.com/products/en...368&quantity=&ColumnSort=0&page=1&pageSize=25

But, as previously stated, these always seem to be modules that contain more than one IC. If your next question is that you want to start with a dedicated IC and DIY, then figure out which dedicated ICs are in use and how to get hold of one and design a your own module.

No, that is not simple, at least not for me - and that brings us back to your initial post and the ESP modules that you linked - yes, use one of those.