DIY Sprinkler Repair

jgessling

Joined Jul 31, 2009
That’s interesting. Of the several home sprinkler systems that I’ve designed/installed I’ve never seen a valve like that. Here in Northern California multiple zones are controlled each off a separate valve in a manifold arrangement. Like this:

I wonder why that is? I can’t see any big advantage either way. And since these are cicuits I think it’s OK to talk about.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
That’s interesting. Of the several home sprinkler systems that I’ve designed/installed I’ve never seen a valve like that. Here in Northern California multiple zones are controlled each off a separate valve in a manifold arrangement. Like this:

I wonder why that is? I can’t see any big advantage either way. And since these are cicuits I think it’s OK to talk about.
It's a hydraulically actuated sequencer. It skips to the next zone each time the pump cycles, and requires no other power or controller -- aside from the pump timer.

I don't think the configuration in your photo does that. Aren't they electrically controlled valves?

jgessling

Joined Jul 31, 2009
Yes, each valve is electrically controlled. Reading some reviews of those valves I see that having pressure within specified range is critical for proper operation. I guess these are mostly used with a well and pump system. Not very common in suburbia here. We prefer to use a complicated system of damns and aquaducts to transport water from far away mountains to keep our lawns green. Plus the groundwater under my house isn’t much good for irrigation. Too much mineral content.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Yes, each valve is electrically controlled. Reading some reviews of those valves I see that having pressure within specified range is critical for proper operation. I guess these are mostly used with a well and pump system. Not very common in suburbia here. We prefer to use a complicated system of damns and aquaducts to transport water from far away mountains to keep our lawns green. Plus the groundwater under my house isn’t much good for irrigation. Too much mineral content.
Considering I have a lake in the backyard, it'd be foolish for me to pay for processed chlorinated potable water just to keep my grass green.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
If it is intermittent.....I would suspect vacuum breaker malfunction. If water is left in pipe after pump turns off.....no room available for fast initial velocity to turn disk......on turn on.

Just a guess.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
You probably are sucking in some sand with your lake water. Look at the foot valve in the lake to make sure that it is off the floor. I run from a well, so I get TONS of sand from it. I use a sediment filter I got from Home Depot and it keeps all but the finest sand out. Here is a link to the one I use:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-1-2-In-PVC-Sediment-Filter-38315/100373243

If you see any sand in your indexer, then you might want to install one of these filters. I have a six zone indexer and I have never had any problems with it properly indexing. Prior to installing the filter, the previous 4 zoner would do all kinds of weird stuff.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
That’s interesting. Of the several home sprinkler systems that I’ve designed/installed I’ve never seen a valve like that. Here in Northern California multiple zones are controlled each off a separate valve in a manifold arrangement.
Same around here for zone controlled sprinkler systems.
Never seen that type before.o_O
Max.