Diy Motion sensing uv led

Kurt Tay

Joined Aug 17, 2017
Guys
This is my first post.
I have little or zero knowledge about electronic...

I would like to diy a motion sensing uv led.

I intend to use it for my fishing trip. To shine on my fishing lure at night when I place the lure near to the sensor.

Would need to know what are the stuff I need to build such device.

Condition/requirement
Use as less batteries as possible
Able to sense the lure at around 1 to 3 cm distance(no need 360 sensing, just straight will do)
Powering up 4 to 6 uv led.(don't know the spec, open to recommendation)
Size of the devise - like a soft drink can

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Isn't the lure the bit that's in the water?
Are you trying to detect the motion of something hanging on the line below the fishing rod - or what?

Kurt Tay

Joined Aug 17, 2017
Isn't the lure the bit that's in the water?
Are you trying to detect the motion of something hanging on the line below the fishing rod - or what?
It wil be above water. The devise act as a torch light to shine on the luminous lure ...
with the sensor there is no need for me to switch on the torch light when I place near it to recharge the lumo lure

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
So tell me if I understand this correctly. You move the lure near something. The something detects the proximity of the lure and turns on a UV LED. When the lure moves away, the LED is turned off.

Kurt Tay

Joined Aug 17, 2017
So tell me if I understand this correctly. You move the lure near something. The something detects the proximity of the lure and turns on a UV LED. When the lure moves away, the LED is turned off.
Spot on albert... because switching on/off the torch light becomes a hassle when you need to shine on the lure after every few cast to recharge

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
You can have the LEDs on all of the time, or to save battery life, just have them come on briefly every few seconds to "look" for the lure. Monitor the area in front of the UV leds with a photodetector behind a green filter. When green light from the lure hits the photo detector, automatically turn on your torch. Is that something that might do what you are looking for?

Kurt Tay

Joined Aug 17, 2017
You can have the LEDs on all of the time, or to save battery life, just have them come on briefly every few seconds to "look" for the lure. Monitor the area in front of the UV leds with a photodetector behind a green filter. When green light from the lure hits the photo detector, automatically turn on your torch. Is that something that might do what you are looking for?
Maybe pictures can help me explain
Imagine the cup is the "thing"
When the lure loses it luminous, I put the lure into the "thing". When the motion sensor detects the lure in the cup, the 4 or 6 uv lights up. It remains on for 5 secs to recharge the lure.

This is the concept I looking at

Attachments

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
That makes it more clear.

Detecting the presence of an object might be a lot easier than detecting motion of an object.

Would the scheme I presented in post #8 solve your need? To reword: Briefly turn on the UV LEDs for a "look" in the thing. If no green light comes bouncing back, turn the LED off again. If green light is detected keep the LEDs on until the green light disappears (the lure is removed from the thing).

The "look" interval and period could have the LEDs on for only a couple percent of the time.

As an alternative might be to use a microswitch switch that is depressed by the weight of the lure -there are moisture proof versions.

Kurt Tay

Joined Aug 17, 2017
That makes it more clear.

Detecting the presence of an object might be a lot easier than detecting motion of an object.

Would the scheme I presented in post #8 solve your need? To reword: Briefly turn on the UV LEDs for a "look" in the thing. If no green light comes bouncing back, turn the LED off again. If green light is detected keep the LEDs on until the green light disappears (the lure is removed from the thing).

The "look" interval and period could have the LEDs on for only a couple percent of the time.

As an alternative might be to use a microswitch switch that is depressed by the weight of the lure -there are moisture proof versions.
There is no need to look for the green lumo light. (-as the lumo can be blue or red or no Colour at all when being first use) Just detect the motion when I put in the lure.. and stay on for 5 sec.

Depression by weight, might not be efficient... as I will hold the lure by the line and it will be spin around to let the uv shine on it ... if I rest on the microswitch it only shine part of the lure . Moreover, water proof it might be a problem