DIY guitar footswitch

Ymmies

Joined Aug 25, 2022
Hi guys!

I am in need of a special footswitch for my guitar rig and since the product is so specific I need to make it myself. I am looking for someone who could help me to design the wiring diagram or at least point me at the right direction.

About the product:

- one little box that would require a 9V battery or 9V DC input, for the LED indicators purpose only.
- one stereo JACK input
- four stereo JACK outputs
- 4 stomp buttons/switches - (probably 9pin 3PDT?)
- 4 LEDs indicating which button/output is on/off

What I am trying to achieve:

- I need a way to switch the signal from the input to one of the four outputs using the stomp buttons. Only one output can be active at a time.
I made a drawing to demonstrate the idea:
diagram.jpg

Is there anyone who could help me with the wiring instructions? I couldn't wrap my head around it so far. Is a circuit board needed for this project?

Thank you!

Ymmies

Joined Aug 25, 2022
Welcome to AAC!

It is doable. No circuit board required.
Hey MrChips!

Thank you. Are those 9pin switches OK for this or is there a better choice? I couldn't think of the wiring how to make sure that only one switch could be turned ON.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Hey MrChips!

Thank you. Are those 9pin switches OK for this or is there a better choice? I couldn't think of the wiring how to make sure that only one switch could be turned ON.
You want to create 4 ”radio buttons”.
In other words, pressing one button disengages the other three.
I need to sit down and think of a clever way of doing this.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Why does your guitar have 2 channels? Is the sound sensor a balanced microphone that has 2 audio wires?
Usually a guitar pickup has a signal wire and a ground wire.

Ymmies

Joined Aug 25, 2022
Hehe, just to make things clear. This is for my expression pedal (input). The 4 outputs will be connected to my Kemper Stage unit, and each output will be set up as a different kind of pedal (wah, pitch, volume, .. ). So i could easily change between the effects during a live session with just only one pedal.

Do those stomp switches have a push-to-set and push-again-to-reset function?
I haven't purchased the stomp switches yet so I am open to recommendation. I need to work out the wiring still :)

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Sorry. I have been busy today and unable to look at your problem.
Don't purchase any parts yet because this is more difficult that I first thought.
It would appear that you would need four latching relays.
(Of course, a simple microcontroller would solve this very easily but you will need a circuit board.)

Ymmies

Joined Aug 25, 2022
Sorry. I have been busy today and unable to look at your problem.
Don't purchase any parts yet because this is more difficult that I first thought.
It would appear that you would need four latching relays.
(Of course, a simple microcontroller would solve this very easily but you will need a circuit board.)
Yeah I feel you :D. I thought I could do it myself at first but then couldn't wrap my head around the "radio buttons".
I am not all against circuit boards if it can be purchased online or it is easy to do it myself.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Ok. I looked at this problem and cannot find a way do to it without using logic gates or MCU.
I offer two solutions. Each one takes one IC, four driver transistors (or one driver IC) and four relays.

Solution #1
CD4042 Quad D-type flip-flop.
This is something you can do and requires no programming.

Solution #2
Any small MCU. This will require programming.

You can assemble the circuit on a prototyping circuit board. You don't need a custom built PCB.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
This is the simplest arrangement I could come up with ...........
( Forgot to add a Power-Switch and a Perf-Board to build it on and an IC-Socket )

Close to Zero-Loss, Zero-Pops/Clicks,
lasts a week on a Battery-Charge,
can also be run on 3-AA-Alkaline-Batteries.
Output Selector FLAT .png

Last edited:

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Hi

Here is another circuit.

It uses two CD4093B chips, 8 transistors, 4 single-coil latch relays.
I didn't show a power switch because it wasn't specified, but it could be a small toggle button on side of box or activated when the instrument is plugged into the input jack. The is no power on default but could be added. All buttons are 2C, momentary, foot switches. All LEDs are 2mA, high efficiency, 5mm type. The circuit will need a circuit board.

1661566498302.png

In the simulation, I used two different low frequencies for the left and right channels just to speed it up. See below.
The top trace shows each footswitch status.

1661566683346.png

Last edited:

Ymmies

Joined Aug 25, 2022
Hi guys, I would like to thank all of you for the suggestions and the wiring diagrams. I am going to take a while to go through them as I am not very experienced with the matter. I will keep you updated :)

Ymmies

Joined Aug 25, 2022
I've got an idea, that should be easier for me to build. What if there was only 1 stomp switch that would change the outputs after every push? This would require for me to set up the effect before each performance, but it is doable I think

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Hi

You can also "brute force" (no active components) this circuit by using 4-4PDT switches, 4-relays, 4-LEDs and 5-TRS jacks but the switches are a little pricey ($10-$7each).

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
I've got an idea, that should be easier for me to build. What if there was only 1 stomp switch that would change the outputs after every push? This would require for me to set up the effect before each performance, but it is doable I think
Yes. That's doable but would need a circuit board for a couple of chips.