Distribution power transformer monitoring device

kelechiOrbiter

Joined Feb 9, 2019
Hello all,

I am new to this forum and I have found it a very exciting and resourceful place.

A little background. I am an electrical engineer and I live and work in Nigeria. We have frequent outages in my country and sometimes it takes weeks before the utilities even know the status of a transformer. This results in people being in darkness for weeks and sometimes months. I want to help solve this problem

I am working on a project that involves real-time monitoring of power transformers. The parameters I am interested in are the operating status of the transformer (on/off), temperature of the transformer, the percentage loading of the transformer and sent the results real-time on-line. I am looking at sending it via SIM module(GPRS/EDGE/HSPDA/4G) and I want two sim modules for redundancy.

Can I get any help from this forum?

I look towards having a very engaging and intensive discussion here that will result to an actual physical device.

Thanks.

kelechiOrbiter

Joined Feb 9, 2019
@DickCappels I want the transformer to report oil temperature, status (on/off) and percentage loading which is the measured output as a percentage of the rated output.

These are voltage transformers

33/0.415 KV

33/11KV

11/0.415KV

Rating from 50KVA to 500KVA

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
While everything you mention is very doable I would suggest commercial solutions. As to data monitoring and acquisition I have used Siemens equipment which is available globally for both 13.3 KV and 25 KV sub station applications including Siemens switch gear solutions. The systems will tell you about everything going on within a distribution grid. That includes complete load diagnosis at any point in time remotely.

Substation Condition Monitoring.

A project of this nature and depth is not as simple as monitoring a few voltages, currents and transformer oil cooling temperatures. I would consult a business like Siemens who have turn key, off the shelf, solutions.Siemens is merely an example of many.

Ron

kelechiOrbiter

Joined Feb 9, 2019
Thanks Ron,

I know about the siemens solutions and other vendors however, we have peculiarities in our environment which necessitates developing our own solution.

Regards,

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Hello all,

I am new to this forum and I have found it a very exciting and resourceful place.

A little background. I am an electrical engineer and I live and work in Nigeria. We have frequent outages in my country and sometimes it takes weeks before the utilities even know the status of a transformer. This results in people being in darkness for weeks and sometimes months. I want to help solve this problem

I am working on a project that involves real-time monitoring of power transformers. The parameters I am interested in are the operating status of the transformer (on/off), temperature of the transformer, the percentage loading of the transformer and sent the results real-time on-line. I am looking at sending it via SIM module(GPRS/EDGE/HSPDA/4G) and I want two sim modules for redundancy.

I look towards having a very engaging and intensive discussion here that will result to an actual physical device.

Thanks.
Hello all,

Thanks.
Do you need to measure the voltage? If not, it is a relatively easy task. The current can be measured using non-contact, clip-on current transformers. The On/Off status and power levels can be determined from these results. The oil temperature can be measures on the transformer casing.
The data acquisition and data transmission can use off-the-shelf equipment.
I designed a SCADA system in 1969 to remotely monitor a transformer station in down-town Ottawa. As far as I know, it is still operating. As well as data acquisition, it allowed the operator to remotely adjust the voltage taps on the transformers. This is not new technology.

kelechiOrbiter

Joined Feb 9, 2019
Do you need to measure the voltage? If not, it is a relatively easy task. The current can be measured using non-contact, clip-on current transformers. The On/Off status and power levels can be determined from these results. The oil temperature can be measures on the transformer casing.
The data acquisition and data transmission can use off-the-shelf equipment.
I designed a SCADA system in 1969 to remotely monitor a transformer station in down-town Ottawa. As far as I know, it is still operating. As well as data acquisition, it allowed the operator to remotely adjust the voltage taps on the transformers. This is not new technology.

Thanks a lot. Keithwalker. I know it is not new technology. Any recommended off-the-shelf equipment for the data acquisition and data transmission.

No, we are not measuring voltage.

Can we discuss more. We are in different time zones? Can we have more time-friendly discussion?

I can send my email and phone number. I can keep the forum update on the progress for those who are interested.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Thanks a lot. Keithwalker. I know it is not new technology. Any recommended off-the-shelf equipment for the data acquisition and data transmission.

No, we are not measuring voltage.

Can we discuss more. We are in different time zones? Can we have more time-friendly discussion?

I can send my email and phone number. I can keep the forum update on the progress for those who are interested.
Before I can recommend any data acquisition or transmission equipment I will need some information:
For sending the data you have a choice of tlelphone lines, radio, internet or cell phone.
How far do you want to transmit the data?
How many channels will you need?
How fast do you want to send the data?
My e-mail is <SNIP>

Moderators note : removed email to avoid spam.
Personal details can be exchanged using PM.

Last edited by a moderator:

kelechiOrbiter

Joined Feb 9, 2019
@KeithWalker,
I prefer to acquire and send data through the internet preferably with a dual SIM module for redundancy due to unstable internet network over here
No limitation of distance.----Over the internet using 3G, 4G

I think that answers the data acquisition and transmission question.

Moderators removed your email to avoid spam. How do I send my email using PM?
Your contribution is invaluable. thanks