Distribution of intercom systems in the US

frisbeee3

Joined Apr 1, 2016
Hi there,

I am one of the founders of monkey - we have developed a small chip that makes existing intercoms smart (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/getmonkeynow/monkey-the-smart-key-for-your-main-entrance-door). We are now thinking about entering the American market, but have little data on the distribution of the different kind of intercom systems.

Do you know how common intercom systems are in the major US cities?
Specifically I am interested in how common door entry phone systems are (that are those systems that forward all visitors to your landline or cell phone number and you can open the door by pressing e.g. 9*)?

Any estimate helps!

Thanks a lot!

Best,
Chris

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
This is an odd place to look for marketing data! But I live here, so I can tell you my hunches.

I would guess that intercoms are in less than 5% of single-family homes. That's a rough guess. I've never seen one that is connected to the door in anyway.

Coming at it a little differently, I'd say intercoms are very rare (again, just a guess) in a houses with value below $200K, which is roughly the median home price in the U.S. Above the median, they are more common but I'd guess they are still not in more than 1/3rd of those homes.

Intercoms with buttons to unlock the door are common in apartment buildings but I have no idea about the numbers.

Have you searched for marketing studies on this? It wouldn't surprise me if someone has taken a look.

Last edited:

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
In general, if you've found a suitable market in any other country then the same if not larger market is here too..
We have everything every other country has and more..

And yes that type of intercom device is very common in high end houses, apartments, condos ,etc...
Any multi-unit building with security that doesn't already have a full time doorman may have a system that may allow your device to integrate into it..

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Just curious: It looks like you have an iPhone app. Is it using HomeKit? I happen to be working on a HomeKit-enabled app myself.