Distressed Nerd - How to increase Motor RPM

Distressed Nerd

Joined Dec 11, 2014
Now, that's a motor guy. I just do fans.:p
With your powers combined form a dream team of exactly what it takes to finish my project!

Ok I am going to spill the beans - what I am trying to do is pressurized a sealed off button down shirt, which is tricky because it leaks air so it needs decent airflow (CFM), but it also needs pressure (PSI) . I've tried the following setups:

1. Leaf blower (http://www.amazon.com/Weed-Eater-WEB160-Electric-Blower/dp/B000BOAY2Y/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1418402864&sr=8-4&keywords=leaf blower) - backward curved centrifugal fan it has adequate pressure - barely enough air flow at ~350 CFM - and way to loud

2. Fan Blower (http://www.amazon.com/Lasko®-Performance-Pivoting-Utility-U15701/dp/B00BT9C9F0/ref=cm_rdp_product) - forward curved centrifugal fan it has ok pressure (needs little more), but adequate air flow ~460 CFM and very low noise level.

3. Inflatable Fan Blower (http://www.amazon.com/BR-2C01A-120-...8403802&sr=8-1&keywords=inflatable+fan+blower) - ok pressure, way to low air flow to account for air leaks in the shirt, noise level ok .

What can we do to get a little more pressure out of the fan blower or what's the best way to build a setup that will give me ~450 CFM of airflow, decent pressure, and low noise that it needs?

I know someone out there has the know-how to get this project complete.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I would think there are other solutions, have you looked at lining the object using a large garbage bag or other inflatable type material that will retain the air to a better degree? (I assume you are not wearing it at he time? :p)
To remain fairly quiet you would need to probabally go much larger dia fan for your approach?
Max.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Look at antique aircraft design. Paint or dip the fabric with something that will block some of the porosity without making it stiff enough to stand it in the corner when you get home. Have you tried different fabrics, like silk vs cotton?

450 CFM is enough to carry air conditioning for 560 square feet of residence, therefore, you must be doing something wrong.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
fan motors are rated for horsepower, fans horsepower requirements are calculated by air flow and back pressure. without getting a higher horse motor, you cant get more flow from a fan. in the old days, steam tractors were horsepower tested with a dynamometer, a fan, and how fast they couold run the fan determined their horsepower.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
in the old days, steam tractors were horsepower tested with a dynamometer, a fan, and how fast they could run the fan determined their horsepower.
That's using the old RPM cubed rule! You can use the same fan blade for quite a range of HP measurements.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Well, anyway, the diameter of the forward curved blower wheel determines the highest pressure. A big slow fan is a lot quieter and more efficient than a small fast fan. If it's too noisy, get a larger diameter or run it slower. If it needs more pressure, get a larger diameter. Need more air flow? Get a wider fan or run it faster. A small tube to deliver the air can be the determining factor in the equation. Obstructing the inlet makes a lot of difference in CFM.

Not having numbers about quantities precludes calculating the sizes needed.

Excuse me, guys. My real life calls on this Friday afternoon. Bye for now.

Last edited: