Therapy for Nerd Rage.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
It's just that there are different levels of nerd rage.

I spent many hours going over a prototype instrument sent to me that was made by an outfit wishing to build some of my equipment under license. It resembles something assembled by accident than what they were supposed to have built. It appears that over a year's time has been frittered away by these schmucks.

In my case, nerd rage gets satisfied by slowly eviscerating an engineer and bench tech. The hammer might do. The CEO will take more time and less mercy...

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
I spent this weekend fixing RROD's (Red Ring Of Death) on a few of these XBOX 360's.... atleast MS is keeping me busy...:D

I still prefer the PS2 and PS3 over the 360's.......

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
I've heard of the RROD, but don't know exactly what it is. I'm not the least bit interested in games, just curious.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I spent this weekend fixing RROD's (Red Ring Of Death) on a few of these XBOX 360's.... atleast MS is keeping me busy...:D
LOL I read somewhere that the XBOX360 has a 60% failure rate with in 2 years. PS3 had a 16% rate and Wii had a 9% rate.

I also read an article on laptop failure rates. HP, DELL and LEVENO's had 24%-27% failure rates within 3 years and believe it or not ASUS and Sony were rated the best with 15% failure rates. Which got me thinking. Me and my other IT friends have been using ASUS MB's and Cards for over a decade but if you ask the average joe who ASUS is most of them look puzzled. Could ASUS's great failure rate have something to do with the people that buy ASUS typically know what they are doing with a computer and know not to block the airflow etc...

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I've heard of the RROD, but don't know exactly what it is. I'm not the least bit interested in games, just curious.
RED RING OF DEATH. This is the error code for a sick XBOX 360. When it dies or craps out the power button just flashes a red ring, thus the RROD.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
The typical RROD Error that happens to most XBOX 360's is that 3 of the red LED's will flash (not all four, that is another fault all together) when powered up, this is due to the GPU and main CPU tend to overheat and hot enough to where the mainboard will warp and desolder connections to the GPU and CPU. This can be easily fixed by replacing the x-clamps (very poor design on MS's part) on the heatsinks with something better, and also the heatsink compound has to be replaced with something else besides the crap that MS used. And you have to basically overheat the whole thing again once the clamps are fixed to reseat the GPU and CPU.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
LOL I read somewhere that the XBOX360 has a 60% failure rate with in 2 years. PS3 had a 16% rate and Wii had a 9% rate.

Make that 65 to 70% failure within the first year. (Year and a half at the most, usually fails right after the warranty expires.... go figure :eek:)

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Make that 65 to 70% failure within the first year. (Year and a half at the most, usually fails right after the warranty expires.... go figure :eek:)
WOW thats incredible, the XBOX1 was so good too. You making any money off of them? I was thinking about fixing cell phones in my spare time to make spare cash but still not sure if I even want to mess around with it.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The old VW beetles used to be notorious for blowing the engine within a couple of hundred miles of the warranty running out. Some would call that good engineering.

kdillinger

Joined Jul 26, 2009
The typical RROD Error that happens to most XBOX 360's is that 3 of the red LED's will flash (not all four, that is another fault all together) when powered up, this is due to the GPU and main CPU tend to overheat and hot enough to where the mainboard will warp and desolder connections to the GPU and CPU. This can be easily fixed by replacing the x-clamps (very poor design on MS's part) on the heatsinks with something better, and also the heatsink compound has to be replaced with something else besides the crap that MS used. And you have to basically overheat the whole thing again once the clamps are fixed to reseat the GPU and CPU.
Microsoft is utter garbage. Utter garbage. The RROD is still an issue after how many redesigns? Three? The answer has been a redesign of the chipset and a reduction of the power requirements. Ok, no problem, but get it together and come up with a decent fix!
But that is just the tip of the iceberg. Their controller is garbage too. Sure, it is suitable for FPS, sports, and racing games, but woe unto the poor soul who tries to use the D-pad. It is despicable that Microsoft cannot design a decent controller for its games. There are a lot of old games (read: 2D platformers) that one can download from XBL. Geometry Wars is one and LOL if you think you can play with the D-pad. MS's Vice President was quoted in Game Informer touting that "it's the best controller ever designed." Yeah right, he needs to be smacked in the mouth. That is why MS released a new style controller for the release of Konami's Pro Evolution Soccer because of the outcry. Awww, but what's that? It's a limited edition only for Europe.
2-D fighters like Street Fighter 4 are HORRID to play with the d-pad. Forward quarter circle punch. FORWARD QUARTER CIRCLE PUNCH for almost 20 years since Street Fighter 2, but this simple movement is a chore. Forget all the super, ultra, FADC, and combo moves.
But there is a solution...pony up another $150 bucks for a fight stick.

Man, rant over. I am angry!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
WOW thats incredible, the XBOX1 was so good too. You making any money off of them? I was thinking about fixing cell phones in my spare time to make spare cash but still not sure if I even want to mess around with it.

Believe it or not my sons XBOX1 out lived both XBOX 360 and XBOX 360 Elite consoles that he has (Well they are all still working :D, thanks to me! Both 360's had the RROD in about 1 year, maybe less...)

And yes I make money off of it, $50.00 for every RROD!

Plus I do console MOD's, add fans for more cooling, windows, LEDs, etc..., even a ATX to XBOX 360 power supply mod....

You can check out some that I have posted on my site here >> http://www.morse-code.com/id170.htm

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I am Impressed with your site,It could help the gamers know
what expect when they It open up. Tell them not violate the
warrany.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
I am Impressed with your site,It could help the gamers know
what expect when they It open up. Tell them not violate the
warrany.

Thanks, I do always try to tell people that opening their consoles WILL void the warranty, but most of the ones I fix are usually out of warranty anyways....