distance sensor - 2 meters

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
Hi guys

I am looking for a low power distance/proximity sensor, it need to be about 2m in range, anyone come cross anything like this?

Thanks guys

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
Can you provide more information about the sensing task?

Your question is too general for a meaningful answer.
Can you provide more information about the sensing task?

Your question is too general for a meaningful answer.
  • It's for detecting people
  • It need to be able to detect if a a person is in the view, no need to know the distance from a person (but could be good to know if available)
  • 2 meters is good, no more than 3 meters, don't want to detect any person more than 3 meters away.
  • 1Hz detection is good enough, no need to be fast. (or see below)
  • Low power, it needs to be under 1mA on average (or can be wake up very fast, do a detection, then go back to sleep quickly)

Make senses?

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
The "max 2 meters range" is your problem with PIR.

Ultrasonic ranging sensors- at least you can discriminate objects too far away.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
They all seem to have a range more than 2 meters, and the range is not constant (change as room temperature change). I don't have much experience with PIR, is that a way to fix these limitation?
I sometimes just use black tape over parts of the sensor to decrease sensitivity and to narrow detection direction/range along with proper placement. With good sensors normal room temperature variations should be a non issue.

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
I sometimes just use black tape over parts of the sensor to decrease sensitivity and to narrow detection direction/range along with proper placement. With good sensors normal room temperature variations should be a non issue.
I have tested this on two Panasonic PIR, I can't get constant result. In a cold day, both sensor have smaller range. But bigger range in warmer days. Also it seems the hotter the object (person), the longer the range. Anything I am missing?