Disposal: Soak into excelsior, ignite by rifle fire.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
A chemist I worked with had a chart on the wall in his lab that listed a number of chemicals and had many columns comparing them.

One of the columns was for disposal. One chemical's entry said "Soak into excelsior, ignite by rifle fire".

I would like to track down this chart. Is anyone familiar with it?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Do you have any idea what the chemical of interest was? Nsaspook's reference seems to point to ethers, which can be prone to forming explosive peroxides.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Interesting reference. I have saved it for future use.

I am still hoping to find the actual chart I saw. I may be more than a touch optimistic. :(
Good luck finding the actual chart. I just completed my yearly RCRA training, there must be a million charts of disposal methods in existence.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
Good luck finding the actual chart. I just completed my yearly RCRA training, there must be a million charts of disposal methods in existence.
Drat. I wasn't thinking it would be so hard.

To clarify. The chart I am looking for has disposal method as just one of many columns comparing a number of chemicals. Unfortunately...

I don't remember what the chemicals had in common (maybe they were all hazardous and maybe not). Similarly, I don't remember what any of the other columns were. :( :(

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
Do you have any idea what the chemical of interest was? Nsaspook's reference seems to point to ethers, which can be prone to forming explosive peroxides.
No, I don't remember what the chemical was. If I did it might help finding the chart. I am hoping to find the specific chart because I remember it having lots of useful information.

It has been a _long_ time since I saw the chart and the only thing I specifically remember is the disposal tidbit :( -- for obvious reasons. :D

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I have a small book, about 1/2" thick and spiral bound, on disposal of chemical waste. And of course, it has charts. Without more information it will be hard to pin down what you want.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
I have a small book, about 1/2" thick and spiral bound, on disposal of chemical waste. And of course, it has charts. Without more information it will be hard to pin down what you want.
You made me realize that I should have said "wall chart", not just chart. I suspect that adding that limitation won't help much, though.

Thanks for your interest. :D