Electronic boards disposal

Thread Starter

Hajajm

Joined Jul 20, 2005
21
my basement is almost full of old crapy electronic boards from TV's radios, computers...etc. am about to do a mojor clean up and dont know if i can just throw the stuff in my regular trash can or it should be taken to a special recycling center. thanks.
 

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
6,970
Depending on where you are in the world, the law will specify how you should dispose of old electronic equipment. You will need to be aware of how you can dipose of your rubbish with relation to the law. Irrespective of what the law says, I would advise you dispose of old electrical equipment in a safe manner. If I remember correctly, the manufaturers have an obligation to ensure safe disposal of old electrical equipment; maybe someone could clarify this?

In the UK, we have special designated areas at our local tips for disposal of electronic equipment. Are you able to take your old rubbish to a tip with such facilities? If so, this should be your course of action.

Dave
 

italo

Joined Nov 20, 2005
205
Originally posted by n9352527@Nov 21 2005, 07:06 AM
There might be some nasty stuff inside old components, especially old TVs and radios. You should dispose these safely.
[post=11800]Quoted post[/post]​
i have disposed of old TV and such trough the reg. disposal. However the TV tubes must be destroyed before disposal. an old tube still can hold a charge after many years and shock you. get a big trush can put tubes inside olmost cover it and smash the neck then proceed to fragment the rest. that is safe a better way for safety is wrap the tube with burlap and smash it. other components are recyclable some company actualy make money out of it. there is precious metals in there in small quantity gold. thorium, tantalum and others
 

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
1,198
Originally posted by italo@Nov 21 2005, 02:53 PM
i have disposed of old TV and such trough the reg. disposal. However the TV tubes must be destroyed before disposal. an old tube still can hold a charge after many years and shock you. get a big trush can put tubes inside olmost cover it and smash the neck then proceed to fragment the rest. that is safe a better way for safety is wrap the tube with burlap and smash it. other components are recyclable some company actualy make money out of it. there is precious metals in there in small quantity gold. thorium, tantalum and others
[post=11803]Quoted post[/post]​
Check your local law first! Even if your local law does not prohibit dumping old electronic stuff, it is still irresponsible to do so! TV tube contains hazardous level of lead (more than 1kg in most instances!) and should not be broken down and dumped to landfill site. Electric shock is the least of your worry. Solder tin also contains lead and should not be dumped. Some components contain heavy metals such as mercury. Overtime, these heavy metals will eventually leach out and poison the ground and the water supply and they will accumulate in your body overtime and eventually kill you. Heavy metals poisoning anyone? They are nasty!

Other components also contain poisonous substances, such as barium, cadmium, beryllium and hexavalent chromium (and as bonuses, these are carcinogenic as well!).

So be RESPONSIBLE!
 

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
5,084
Older TV tubes are made from leaded glass and do indeed contain a couple kg of Pb. Newer ones often are made from lead-free glass.
 

italo

Joined Nov 20, 2005
205
Originally posted by thingmaker3@Nov 21 2005, 04:08 PM
Older TV tubes are made from leaded glass and do indeed contain a couple kg of Pb. Newer ones often are made from lead-free glass.
[post=11819]Quoted post[/post]​
i am aware of that but the lead is part of the glass unless you smelt it down there should be no danger of course there is allways leakage. i think it should be ok.
 

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
1,198
Originally posted by italo@Nov 22 2005, 12:04 PM
i am aware of that but the lead is part of the glass unless you smelt it down there should be no danger of course there is allways leakage. i think it should be ok.
[post=11828]Quoted post[/post]​
Not all the lead is part of the glass, there is some lead used to line the tube and this will leach out easily. Why do you think there are laws against dumping CRT tubes in most countries now, because they are dangerous or just for the sake of it?

You can google for more information, or read this technical report as an example. There are lots of other studies out there.

http://www.enveng.ufl.edu/homepp/townsend/...RT/CRTDec99.pdf

In the absence of personal knowledge, I think it is wise to research more carefully and observe the established guidelines instead of deciding that something is 'ok', especially in things relating to health and safety.
 

Erin G.

Joined Mar 3, 2005
167
It seems to me that you could spend a lot of time researching local laws, CRT lead contents, etc and still not know where it's best to dump an old TV. Why not just telephone the people who do know all about these things, ie your local trash hauler,...
 

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
6,970
Surely you should be able to contact your local council (or equivalent wherever you are in the world) to find information on the nearest electrical tip?

I'm sure they would have an obligation to provide you with the necessary information.
 

Stephen

Joined Oct 25, 2005
15
WTF?! You guys are crazy!!! GO through these carfully and make sure there are no rare single board microcomputers. The Apple 1 computer is the most wanted vintage computer and the most valuable! Sold for $15,000!!!!
 
Top