Dislike sopa

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
The internet is neither physical nor tied to a specific country, and while im against pirating, this goes way too far. theyre trying to attack firefox, and a million other things. it simply cant work, there are too many loopholes, ways around, and the US government alone is simply incapable of it. next they'll be reading our email (probably scanning it already)
The web is just too dynamic, I can tell from experience at our school. In the battle of the tech department against the students, the students end up winning. Sure, facebook is blacklisted, but it's on our phones. Block pandora, there's grooveshark. Suspend a student for hacking, he gets more careful. its a loosing battle for the controllers

jimkeith

Joined Oct 26, 2011
The underlying issue is that the federal gov't cannot handle the truth (alternative media) so they have devised this crude attempt to limit freedom of information. The surface issue is online piracy that is actually a non-problem as there are already other ways to handle piracy. SOPA is a bad idea!

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
The underlying issue is that the federal gov't cannot handle the truth (alternative media) so they have devised this crude attempt to limit freedom of information. The surface issue is online piracy that is actually a non-problem as there are already other ways to handle piracy. SOPA is a bad idea!
Pretty much this. They can't/won't embrace internet marketing, and go through the usual channels if somebody is stealing their product.

The only thing this will do is create more criminals out of law abiding citizens, one way or another, since the wording is so vague, it could apply to anything.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
maybe this is good, they just might touch the final nerve of general population with this... I didn't now about it until recently, but had to look something up on Wikipedia and found out about their black out protest.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I'm wondering if google will go to a black background. They have an "interesting" arrangement with the Fed. Gov (seriously), nothing major, but google can find "red flag" phrases a lot faster than any .gov server can.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
i dont think it's withdrawn, i think the decision is being postponed
if it passes, i will officially think that the govt has grown too large and is looking out for only its own interests
if it is vetoed, i will still have a bit of faith in it

jimkeith

Joined Oct 26, 2011

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
if it passes, i will officially think that the govt has grown too large and is looking out for only its own interests
if it is vetoed, i will still have a bit of faith in it
This one is the straw that broke the camel's back for you? What about the one that allows them to incarcerate citizens and noncitizens, inside or outside the U.S., indefinately in a secret location with no warrant, charge, or trial for committing a "belligerent act" against the U.S.? Don't anybody speak out against the government now, could be bad for your liberty. oh wait, isn't that the opposite of liberty?

EDIT: cross-post with jimkieth, sorry man, same message

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
oh my, yes we've crossed that line.
When I think of politics, I think of the American political affiliations, Republican Vs Democrat and such, as this is usually what people are talking about around here when they refer to politics. I looked up the definition, and it's much broader. I've been thinking that if I steer clear of statements that could be construed to be against one or the other party then I am steering clear of politics, but not so.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
strantor- this wont be the one that broke the camels back, just one in a line
and why did i only hear about that one AFTER it was passed
and what is the definition of politics?

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
oh my, yes we've crossed that line.
When I think of politics, I think of the American political affiliations, Republican Vs Democrat and such, as this is usually what people are talking about around here when they refer to politics. I looked up the definition, and it's much broader. I've been thinking that if I steer clear of statements that could be construed to be against one or the other party then I am steering clear of politics, but not so.
I remember saying a thread "Stinks like politics" about a month ago, and was assured that as no bias or affiliation was involved, it wasn't politics \(\reflectbox{?}\)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Tonyr1084 Feedback and Suggestions 15
N Off-Topic 25
N Off-Topic 0