Discovering the Blues (music)

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
It means that I would like to see a resurgence in interest for this kind of music in young people.

I would like to see someone carrying Mr. Johnson's torch into the future.

Not really blues but Harry Conick Jr. is a young man bringing the truly great music back to the forefront.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
This sounds exactly like my scholastic introduction to poetry. What a way to turn a kid off to the arts.
Hack cover bands and Machines can repeat the past. Artists create new art. Stay young and listen to Spotify or other service where you can ask for something new - just don't mention "classic rock" or it will suddenly know you are old and not play anything else.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
What would be nice is if the "top of the class" would stop being eliminated by attrition due to bullets, drugs, alcohol, poison, and plane and helicopter crashes.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Not really. Stevie and Jill of of the same era. You are the one that made age an issue. Stevie has been dead for something like 24 years. Who has been along since then?
My point was that Blues, originating in the early 1900s, experienced a resurgence in the 50s, 60s, and 80s. It could happen again. All it takes is one brilliant artist.

My favorite version of St. James Infirmary will always be Doc’s.
Very nice. I have not heard much of him. I went on the tube now and listened to a few clips. Deep River Blues, Summertime, House of the Rising Sun and Sitting on top of the world. All good, all tasty...and to me, a kind of 'country' interpretation.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
My point was that Blues, originating in the early 1900s, experienced a resurgence in the 50s, 60s, and 80s. It could happen again. All it takes is one brilliant artist.
Someday, some precocious young kid is going to dust off his grandpa's Gibson and discover a few vinyls lying around. After a bit of confusion ("WTF?"), he's going to figure it out, become enthralled about a whole "new" sound, and make it his own.

That'll be the day...

No, you are wrong and engaging in an OPD (Old person delusion). Nothing is coming back, no resurgence, no enduring appreciation, no retro-rebirth. Will not happen, can not happen. Music, as you know it is doomed. The music of the future is going to be direct manipulation of bio-potentials and, as an experience, will be far greater than anyone has ever experienced....until the rise of the cockroach :) Yes @wayneh, you have it right...and wait until the sex robots can sing as well.

As a musician, I've wondered about this a LOT. I've always had a preference for music that was ... music. Actual music created by musicians playing instruments. The more that music has become produced to perfection, the less it sounds like music and the more like a computer program. I think if you haven't had much experience with real music made by real people, you don't care about that aspect and can be satisfied with sound-as-entertainment regardless of the source of the sound.

An interesting analogy just occurred to me. Suppose sex robots become commonplace in the next decade and achieve a level of "perfection" similar to the way today's music has perfectly removed the human element. Will old timers like us lament the lack of human imperfection? The youngsters will all be enjoying their robots while we old guys remember the back seats of cars, nights in the park, and all the other live performances.
I wonder about it all the time too (well the music part). But don't you also wonder what a musician from the early 1800s might say when hearing your idea of great music. Would they lecture you on the genuine qualities of Attack Decay Sustain Release. Would they say something like "what is this nonsense, he hit the string and it kept getting louder! That's not music. You know what I am getting at?

I try to transcend "my music" and I am regulalry talking to the millennials about music....trying to find new sounds to feed my hunger. Mostly I am forced to go back to the usual diet and see what I overlooked on that same menu.

Take a listen to this. It is contemporary and, I think, it's very good.

But, the guitar is, umm, entry level. I guess the bass is ok, I can't really tell. Apart from the two voices, which are certainly ok, ALL the rest of the sound is coming from that guy in the back.....playing...umm..instruments.

Maybe the reason young people don't demand more is because they don't want more, maybe they just want their music, not someone else's music.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009

And my point is it is likely not going to happen today. Today, if you and your music don't meet the formula you are likely not to succeed. Those with the power and money don't want what is good. They want what sells to the masses. It is what brought us rap.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
There are thousands of "blues" artists out there. The fact that mainstream recording companies are trying to segment their market - maintain revenue from already-promoted artists) and find new people (Taylor Swift) to fill new niches.

It takes some work but the blues bands are out there.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
And my point is it is likely not going to happen today. Today, if you and your music don't meet the formula you are likely not to succeed. Those with the power and money don't want what is good. They want what sells to the masses. It is what brought us rap.
Call me the eternal optimist.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Been into the blues since before I knew what it was. Grew up with my Mom playing all of those 45 records. My all time favorite player Lightnin' Hopkins. When from acoustic into electric to stay with the times.