Discharging Capacitor Circuit

Cormac Champion

Joined Jul 28, 2016
Hi all,

I'm a bit of a newbie so I need assistance please. I have created the following in my car. The idea is that the lamp will stay lit for a small period of time after the ignition is shut off. I have 6 x 2.7v 50F Super Capacitors in series and a 1k Resistor in Parallel. However, as you can see, the output voltage (after the Capacitors) while the ignition is turned on, is only 4.4v rather than just over 12v.

What have I done wrong ? Or what am I missing or how to I change things to get the desired result ?

I was under the impression that the voltage would only dropoff AFTER the power source was turned off.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
The capacitors should be in parallel with the lamp not in series.
You will need balancing resistors across each capacitor to equalise the voltage as the capacitances will not be exactly equal.
You will probably also need a resistor to limit the charging current when you switch on, else it may blow the fuse.
It should look something like this:
upload_2016-10-20_19-32-58.png

Cormac Champion

Joined Jul 28, 2016
What value resistor do I need to equalise each capacitor please ? And what value would R6 be in your diagram ?

I went with 6 caps since 5 x 2.7v would be slightly too few for when the car is running on the alternator

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
I need some numbers to be able to answer that.
Which capacitors are you using (so I can look up their specs)?
What is the wattage of the lamp?
What is the fuse rating feeding this circuit?

Cormac Champion

Joined Jul 28, 2016
2.7v - 50F
What is the wattage of the lamp?
Say 50w
What is the fuse rating feeding this circuit?
10A - running off the Car Radio feed

It actually not a lamp but a CarPC. But it's still under 50w

Last edited:

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
2.7v - 50F

This doesn't give me enough information.
Capacitance tolerance, leakage current, maximum charge/discharge currents.
Can you give me the actual capacitor model or a link to their datasheet?

Cormac Champion

Joined Jul 28, 2016
Just an update on the power consumption. I used my digital meter to measure the amps and it was pretty much bang on 1amp @ 21v which it therefore seems that the PC draws under 25watts (it's a Lenovo M53 Thin Client) - so sizing for 50watts is more than enough

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Just an update on the power consumption. I used my digital meter to measure the amps and it was pretty much bang on 1amp @ 21v which it therefore seems that the PC draws under 25watts (it's a Lenovo M53 Thin Client) - so sizing for 50watts is more than enough
Was that intended for a different thread?

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
R1-R5 should be 5.6Ω and R6 should be 2Ω. That will keep the currents and voltages within the limits for the capacitors.
R1-R5 should 2W.
The problem is R6. The peak power is about 110W and it is dissipating a significant part of that power for 25 seconds so even though the power is not continuous a resistor of significant size would be required. Also about half an amp is flowing those equalising resistors all the time the lamp is on.

I think it would make more sense to have a timer switching a MOSFET. This would require a direct connection to the 12V even when the lamp is switched off.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
The other problem using the capacitors is that the voltage will start falling immediately that switch is off and will continue gradually falling.
Is this circuit intended to run from the cigar lighter socket? That would clearly make a direct 12V supply problematic.

Cormac Champion

Joined Jul 28, 2016
The issue I initially had was to run the CarPC for a few minutes after the car was turned off. I bought a Turbo Timer which is perfect, except for the fact that sometimes the power drops the PC when the ignition turns off and the Timer kicks in. So I reckoned that Caps could do a decent job and bridge the possible 0.5 sec gap between switching from the ignition to the Timer.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
A 1F capacitor charged to 14V will drop to 12V in about 1 second with a load of 1.75A (1A @ 21V = 1.75A @ 12V), so that would be a much more manageable circuit.