Direction of holes and electrons in N-type and P-type material

john arclight

Joined Mar 25, 2015
Im taking a course for Electronics Technician, Im currently studying N-type and P-type materials. So I was doing the little test at the end of the chapter, and it had this question as follows: The direction of electron flow in a/an_blank_ material is from negative to positive . So i answered "N-type" but when i looked at the answer,when i was done, it stated the answer as "P-type" material.
First of all in my mind, I thought that the direction of electron flow would be from negative to positive no matter if it were N-type or P-type material...just that with N-type, electrons are the majority charge carrier and with P-type, holes are the majority charge carrier...sorta making the question kinda mute. And vice versa, holes move from positive to negative.
So im not understanding why direction of electron flow would be any different,whether it was P-type material or N-type...wouldn't it be the same in both types? Is there something im missing? Could it be an error in the question? Or im I not looking at it in the right context?
This has got me really confused. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you very much

You are correct in that electron-flow is always from negative to positive no matter the type of semiconductor. The only difference is that electron flow occurs in the conduction band in n-type material and in the valence band in p-type material.