Direct wifi printing adapter ?

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Does such gadget exist ?
Bought a new printer that does it from phone/computer/tablet, but perhaps my older USB printer could too. Is there a gadget that will wirelessly link the printer with a laptop and print direct, not on network wifi, at about 10 metres range ?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Does such gadget exist ?
Bought a new printer that does it from phone/computer/tablet, but perhaps my older USB printer could too. Is there a gadget that will wirelessly link the printer with a laptop and print direct, not on network wifi, at about 10 metres range ?
I believe you could establish an ad hoc network from the laptop and connect a typical WiFi printer to that.

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Thanks, wayneh.
"... a typical wifi printer to that"
Well this is for an older non - wifi printer that, in my ignorance of networking, would need some wireless adapter plugged to its USB port.

There is no router in the house. But I have a couple behind spider webs that could be tried if
Internal wifi in laptop ---> wirelessly to ---> standalone router with usb plugged to printer USB port. If that makes any sense.

Or do I need something different like a print server, a wifi bridge, adapter, or whatever be its proper name.
And I run only Linux.

Tried one like this with a USB "B" connector to the printer jack and injected +5V to it as the printer does not supply it. ( The printer has a sense circuitry at the +5V USB "B" jack, to recognize it has been connected, but does not provide power to the "B" type jack )

But I was not clear enough on what I was doing... :rolleyes:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Yeah the trouble is that you’re trying to network over USB and the printer doesn’t expect to do that. A device as shown that converts one protocol to another could work in theory.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
You have a few options. You can invest in a wireless print server as shown in the link. They can be had relatively inexpensive. You can connect the printer wired to a PC (always on) which has access to your wireless home network. I have done this using my wife's computer which is always on allowing me to print on my older wired printer with any of the cell phones, laptops or tablets we use. My newer printer is wireless and just shows on the network so I can print to either. There are also I believe bluetooth adapters but I never tried that.

The simple and inexpensive way is a wireless print server connected to you home network I would think.

Ron