Direct drive of BT134 triac from ATTiny816 processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

manishb

Joined Mar 16, 2020
Hi Everyone, this is my first post here.

I am trying to drive a triac BT134 directly from the ATTiny816 processor. The goal is to drive the triac in Quadtrant 2 and 3. I have referred to the note by ST for negative power supply. Please see attached images of the power supply section and the drive section. The speed control pin is connecte to an ATTiny816.

When I switch the pcb on, I get a spark on the triac, or the resistor or transistor connecting to the triac gate blows up. Can anyone see what I am doing wrong here?

(ST note for reference - https://www.st.com/content/ccc/reso...df/jcr:content/translations/en.CD00266635.pdf )

I need to use non-isolated power supply and drive for cost reasons.

Attachments

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi m,
Welcome to AAC,
The project is using a non isolated mains supply, these devices are not allowed on AAC.
Are you able to use a mains isolating transformer for the project.??
E

manishb

Joined Mar 16, 2020
It is a very small space, transformer cannot fit. Also, cost is a constraint. No optoisolators are possible. Please help with what is wrong with my circuit.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
The T&C's of AAC do not allow non isolated supplies.
So I will have to Close the Thread.
E
  • Restricted topics.The following topics are regularly raised however are considered "off-topic" at all times and will result in Your thread being closed without question:
    • Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
    • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
    • LEDs to mains
    • Any kind of jammers (ie - Phone jammers)
    • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
    • Transformer-less power supplies
  • If You come across a thread or post discussing any of the above topics please report the thread so We can close, and if necessary remove, the offending thread/posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.