diptrace schematic problem

joewales44

Joined Oct 8, 2017
i've been using diptrace for years but never tried to make a schematic until now.
i can't make it work. when i open schematic and pick a part to place, it shows part on cursor but when i click to place, it disappears and isn't placed.
after that i can't select another part. i have to close program and restart and it does same thing again.
i think something isn't set up right. i've watched tutorials but can't figure out what i'm doing wrong.
anybody got an idea?
thanks

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
That's odd. I've been using DipTrace for two or three years now with no such problems, always creating a schematic first before doing board layout.

Which version are you running? I'm not at my computer now, so I'm not sure which version I'm running. I'll check tomorrow when I get back to work.

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Are you using it free for non-commercial use, or is yours a licensed version? If you're using free version anyway, might be worth downloading the latest one - maybe you just happen to have a buggy release?

joewales44

Joined Oct 8, 2017
no i have the full version for 1000 pins. i'm bound to have something set up wrong or just a da. crutschow already knows that.

joewales44

Joined Oct 8, 2017
i downloaded free trial and it works fine. did they include usable schematic program in all versions? it opens schematic program in old version but it won't work right.

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
i downloaded free trial and it works fine. did they include usable schematic program in all versions? it opens schematic program in old version but it won't work right.
I don't know for sure. I'm almost positive mine is 2.x and it's worked beautifully from day one. I would've assumed a working schematic portion would be part of any "real" (non-beta) release, but since I wasn't using it in the V1.5 days, I'm only guessing.

Have you checked the DipTrace user forums to see if others encountered the same problem? It's been a while since I've been on the forum, but I remember using it a few times when I was brand new and getting good help there. It's worth a shot. There don't seem to be many other users on this forum from what I've seen so far.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
i've been using diptrace for years but never tried to make a schematic until now.
What?????

i can't make it work. when i open schematic and pick a part to place, it shows part on cursor but when i click to place, it disappears and isn't placed.
after that i can't select another part. i have to close program and restart and it does same thing again.
i think something isn't set up right. i've watched tutorials but can't figure out what i'm doing wrong.
anybody got an idea?
thanks
old version 1.5
Please upgrade. It is free. Don't expect someone to try and help with such an old version.

All you need to do is to click on the component then click on the schmetic.

There are youtube videos available I think.

Diptrace has a help forum where you will find more Diptrace users.

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
This is kind of a long shot, but I found a discussion from 2010 in which a user claims the only way they could get certain features to work is to run program as administrator. Perhaps it's worth trying that if you haven't already.

https://diptrace.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57

joewales44

Joined Oct 8, 2017
What?????

Please upgrade. It is free. Don't expect someone to try and help with such an old version.

All you need to do is to click on the component then click on the schmetic.
for my simple designs, it's quicker to just make the board instead of hunting all the parts in schematic libraries.

i thought there was a charge to upgrade for anything but the free version? am i wrong? i have the standard version, 1000 pins.
and i'm not sure i want to learn another new version.

i tried clicking and placing, that's what doesn't work. it works fine in the newer version.
thanks

Last edited:

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
My two cents:
I prefer the SprintLayout v.6 for it allows very much about hand operations and canister filling the all unused places, but all said here is valid for all dozen of other softs what I had checked up.
DONT use the library, they very rarely pass with Your needs. For example, SMD resistors has too small contact patches what too easily deglues off, the IC patches are too small outward to get soldering with an ease, the other components may not pass the size You have at hands etc etc.
Solution: Activate the yellow layer. Insert the letter D with size of as example 14 mm - that is outline of 7805. Or make it 5mm - that is 2n2222. Push the I letter of 10 mm bold letter-set - that is DIP resistor, the same way make a SMD resistor. Or push - insert the rectangulum - that will be the outline of multi-foot IC.
Then jump to the green layer (copper). Install the right step for guide-screen, 2,5 or 1,27 or 0,63 or 0,5 etc. Then form the size of "SMD patch" to those You like, for example in case of 0,63 mm distance the 0,5mm x 3 mm or 2 mm. Then insert them, that screen will not allow You to put it nowhere else that in the right position, You must tick it just approximately. Then look on the job and evaluate do You shall be able to set the some wiring below the body, there ought be at least some 2 mm between the inner contoures. And evaluate do You have at least 0,5 mm inside of body contoure and at least 2 mm outside the body, I mean the contoure of patches. If so, copy and paste that element how much You need and be happy. For the ease of soldering, put the * letter to the first foot.

joewales44

Joined Oct 8, 2017
eveowulf17 IS THE MAN !!!
works perfect when run as administrator.
however, i can draw a schematic in expresssch in half the time.
they don't list my parts and i don't want to build libraries.
i'm sure there are good reasons to do it in diptrace but my stuff is so simple, it doesn't seem worth the effort.
i accidentally ran pcb layout as administrator and it wouldn't close. had to reboot.
i still get a few crashes occasionally too.
price for upgrade is more than fair but i don't want to learn new stuff for my simple boards.
and i can't open my 1.5 files in 3.2. what's up with that?
i would like to know how to make a new IC with active pins.
thanks everyone.

Last edited:

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
RE: JoeWales44: ""i would like to know how to make a new IC with active pins. thanks everyone.""
Then read what is answered to You!
The method I described generates the IC size, patches, and computer recognize those patches as "real", I mean autotracing

joewales44

Joined Oct 8, 2017
after much trial and error, i was able to create a few parts. it's not worth the effort for my simple designs.
thanks everyone.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
eveowulf17 IS THE MAN !!!
works perfect when run as administrator.
however, i can draw a schematic in expresssch in half the time.
they don't list my parts and i don't want to build libraries.
i'm sure there are good reasons to do it in diptrace but my stuff is so simple, it doesn't seem worth the effort.
i accidentally ran pcb layout as administrator and it wouldn't close. had to reboot.
i still get a few crashes occasionally too.
price for upgrade is more than fair but i don't want to learn new stuff for my simple boards.
and i can't open my 1.5 files in 3.2. what's up with that?
i would like to know how to make a new IC with active pins.
thanks everyone.

Can you please use a shift key at the start of sentences and some line breaks??? Your posts are very difficult to read. This isn't texting People are reluctant to respond if they can't read your posts.

To make a new part, you need first to create the pattern with Pattern Editor. You then create the schematic part with Component Editor and associate a pattern with a component. I would suggest adding it to a new library and making sure that library is a part of your backup process. If you create a new library then you need to register that with Diptrace so it can find it.

I find Diptrace extremely easy to use. Once you create a new part then you have it. No need to recreate over and over on new projects.

Last edited: