Diode identification help!

Steven Goldson

Joined Apr 26, 2016
Hi All,
I have a power supply that transforms 230vac to 24vdc & 5vdc. The PS has a fault on the 5v line and faults out almost immediately. When I stripped down and inspected the circuit board I found a blown diode on the 5v circuit. The diode is that badly blown I can't identify it. I have no circuit diagram and the manufacturer has been no help. Am I completely stuffed? The diode it two legged and black it has triangles at one end. Other diodes near it say 906 on them. What does that represent? As my local electronic store couldn't identify them. No telling that the one that has blown is a 906 anyway.

Online it looked like a 906 could represent a 6.8v 5w Zener diode. Even though this looked different I thought I would fit one and it still didn't work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm an electrical and PLC engineer and haven't done any electronic circuit stuff since college so a little bit of a novice lol.

Cheers
Steve

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Can you take a picture of the diode and psu, chances are its a switchmode psu and will be a schokley diode or fast type like uf4001/ mur160.

Steven Goldson

Joined Apr 26, 2016
  • Above is a pic of failed diode, then the board then a close up between the two large capacitors you can see where I have fitted the wrong type of diode. Hopefully my pictures good enough.
  • Thanks Steve

Steven Goldson

Joined Apr 26, 2016
On second look a couple of the diodes in the same area that also go to the same common block from the large capacitor either say DRA 60 or ORA 60? It's hard to see.