Dimmer switch keeps light on

falco84

Joined Mar 11, 2015
Hi. I'm hoping I might be able to get some help with a little home project. Recently my floor lamp blew a fuse. I took apart the light control panel to get to the curcuit board, replaced the 5 amp fuse and put everything back together. The problem is one of the dimmer switches (the top one in the picture, there are 2 of them) stopped working - one of the 2 lights doesn't turn off and can't be dimmed. The only way to turn it off is to unplug the lamp. The second switch and light work fine. How do I troubleshoot this? Is it possible that the switch was affected when the fuse blew?

Attachments

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
if its fairly new, email the mfgr, they have replaced bad boards for me before. you will just have to disconnect the old one and put in a new one. I have had dinmers and ballasts go out on lamps before on lamps that were over a year old and they sent me the parts free.

falco84

Joined Mar 11, 2015
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll try to replace the faulty triac and will post an update when all is done. I am a complete newbie when it comes to circuits and electrical components and your tips saved me a lot of time.

Altacliff, I've had this lamp for over 10 years now. No idea who the manufacturer is, I'll pick up the part from a local electronics supplies store.