Digital voltmeter

Mr.Smoke

Joined May 26, 2006
Dear Friends,
I wanna to know that can we alter the display method of digital voltmeter, In order to clearify my question read this: I buy a digital voltmeter pass 1 volt of current, the voltmeter display result in this fasion 1 volt, now I want to change 1 volt to 1 unit. can I ? if than how?

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Originally posted by Mr.Smoke@May 27 2006, 02:04 PM
Dear Friends,
I wanna to know that can we alter the display method of digital voltmeter, In order to clearify my question read this: I buy a digital voltmeter pass 1 volt of current, the voltmeter display result in this fasion 1 volt, now I want to change 1 volt to 1 unit. can I ? if than how?
[post=17353]Quoted post[/post]​
can you please be more specific? i don´t understand your question. Do you want to change the V sign on the display?

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Originally posted by Mr.Smoke@May 28 2006, 01:40 PM
yes, I just wanna to change V sign to any.. is it possible?
[post=17367]Quoted post[/post]​
Does the voltmeter have LCD or LED display?

I guess you can only change the V sign for one which is already there, probably A or Ohm, depends on the voltmeter.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by Mr.Smoke@May 27 2006, 01:04 PM
Dear Friends,
I wanna to know that can we alter the display method of digital voltmeter, In order to clearify my question read this: I buy a digital voltmeter  pass 1 volt of current, the voltmeter display result in this fasion 1 volt, now I want to change 1 volt to 1 unit. can I ? if than how?
[post=17353]Quoted post[/post]​
Hi,

You sound a touch confused about the concept of voltage and current measurement using a DMM. You need to clarify one thing from your question: are you passing 1 amp of current through the DMM, or are you measuring 1 volt voltage.

When using a DMM the method for measuring current and voltage is different. If you are measuring current then you must place the DMM in series with the circuit to measure the current through the DMM. If you are measuring voltage then you place the DMM probes around the circuit element for which you are measuring the voltage across.

From the above explanation there are two important points to note:

1. Measuring current requires that you place the DMM in series with the circuit.
2. Measuring voltage requires that you place the DMM in parallel with the component (s) for which you are measuring the voltage across.

As a further point on your query, you can alter the units depending on what you are measuring. Your DMM will have a dial or selector to choose the units of measurement. For current with decreasing units:

A → mA → μA

In this case the numerical display on the DMM will increase, i.e. 1A will become 1000mA and 1000000μA

The same idea applies to voltage. You may wish to look at SI units for current and voltage and try to relate this to the markings on your DMM. For us to assist you any further, you will need to clarify whether you are measuring current or voltage, and what units you wish to convert it to.

Dave