Digital picture frame - screen does not work after disconnecting and then reconnecting ribbon cable

VelvetVinz

Joined Dec 28, 2021
Hello everyone!
I am new to this forum and I am actually just a hobbyst, playing with electronics either for fun or trying to repair stuff.
I disassembled an old digital picture frame (kodak easyshare sv710) because the power supply seemed to have some issues (power going off and on and the cable being apparently ok).
When doing this, I also disconnected the ribbon cable of the screen from what it seems to be a ZIF connector, but when I put everything back in place, the screen does not work anymore.
I am wondering what the hell I might have messed up when disassembling the thing: could it be that the 26 pins of the cable are perfectly touching the correspondent pins from the connector?
Have a look at the pictures below.
Thanks for your comments, suggestions, tips or any other help you might able to provide!
Cheers

The screen of the frame zith the ribbon cable seemingly well connected and the clip/drawer of the ZIF connector locked
20211228_164858.jpg

The ribbon cable connected to the ZIF connector and locked
20211228_164928.jpg

The ribbon cable disconnected and the clip of the ZIF connector wide open
20211228_165007.jpg

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
I am wondering what the hell I might have messed up when disassembling the thing: could it be that the 26 pins of the cable are perfectly touching the correspondent pins from the connector?
That would be my guess. Try reseating the cable. Push it as far as you can before engaging the latch. After making sure there's no debris in the socket or on the cable contacts.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
+1 for that guess. Don't know if it's significant, but the low order pins 1,2.... of the connector don't seem to line up properly with the tracks on the pcb, whereas the high order pins ...25,26 do. Could be just a trick of the camera.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
I agree, post #3.
When you disconnected the ribbon cable, did you pull out the White plastic, which has the ribbon cable connection, away from the Black plastic.??
The Black plastic lines up OK with the soldered White board mounted part.

When you powered up the screen, the left most connection is 0V, so you may have damaged some circuitry.
E
EG 1190.png

Attachments