Digital output Logic for camera External Trigger

Glenn Lorimer

Joined Aug 15, 2018
Hi Guru's this is an odd ball question so thought id post it in here..... Ive got a DataLogic VS2 Vision Sensor and software that a can set up a good file of parameters and download to the vision sensor...... now here's the but...... there are multiple trigger modes to trigger the camera to take an image, please see image below.

1. Continuous

2. External Trigger Rising edge +3vDC - 24vDC

3. External Trigger Falling Edge 0v

4. Ethernet

I'm only interested in the taking the image via the External Trigger Rising edge +3vDC - 24vDC as there is a sensor on our machine that gives a 24vDC output when the part is in position and id like to use the same output from this sensor as the rising edge trigger for the VS2 to take an image. but when i have it set to external trigger rising the camera does nothing ive tried multiple PSUs 5v thru to 24v and still cannot get it to trigger an image

Ive used an Optocoupler circuit to give me a raising edge 1 out at 12vDC but sill cant get the camera to take an image please see circuit .dwg below

Im using pin 8 red on the M12 8 pin lead as required as this is the external trigger

any help on this matter will as always be much appreciated

https://www.sensorcentre.com/uploads/manuals/Data VS2 ID Vision Sensor Quickguide.pdf

Attachments

Wow, that's a nice camera.

On M12, do you see 0V red to blue and no opto?

From Data VS2 ID Vision Sensor Quickguide.jpg

On your opto, positive, are you going brown/Vcc and Blue/GND? Have you verified the voltages at M12 for those leads?
optocouple.jpg

Glenn Lorimer

Joined Aug 15, 2018
Hi thanks it’s a lovely bit of kit if I can get it to remote trigger....I’ve put I’ve put the brown onto the VCC and the red onto pin four of the optocoupler and on pin 1 I have 12vDC (switched) and on pin 2 I have 0v powered from a 12vDC PSU I sure I’m missing something any help would be greatly received

Hi thanks it’s a lovely bit of kit if I can get it to remote trigger....I’ve put I’ve put the brown onto the VCC and the red onto pin four of the optocoupler and on pin 1 I have 12vDC (switched) and on pin 2 I have 0v powered from a 12vDC PSU I sure I’m missing something any help would be greatly received
Do you have pin 3 of the opto going to Blue on the M12 (directly or after the resistor)?

BTW: Welcome to the board. It would be a big help if you drew that Opto connections in a size that old people (like me can see) with all four pins labelled to where you have them going. I say it would be helpful because there are many on here that would be happy to help, but only if they can easily see what you are doing.

If you have pin 3 [edit] going to GND on the M12, I am not seeing what the problem is. This should be pretty easy so we are both missing something - another reason to draw it out simply and easily for other eyes as well :)

pmd34

Joined Feb 22, 2014
Hi Glenn, just to clarify, we are talking about the upper most Optocoupler picture? Pin 4 (bit unclear.. think its the top right pin) VCC goes to brown, Pin 3 Goes to red (may or may not need some additional load resistor there.) Pin 1 & 2 are OK.

Glenn Lorimer

Joined Aug 15, 2018
Hi Glenn, just to clarify, we are talking about the upper most Optocoupler picture? Pin 4 (bit unclear.. think its the top right pin) VCC goes to brown, Pin 3 Goes to red (may or may not need some additional load resistor there.) Pin 1 & 2 are OK.
I’m talking about the upper optocoupler picture VCC = brown and pin 3 = red...with the 470 resister going to ground

Let me try it this way...

If you hook up the Opto (I am showing a 4n25 here, because I can't read your part number and I am assuming an analogous NPN out)
OptoCam.jpg

External operate should have a pos voltage and when you externally operate the LED, it will drop red to ~0V. That should operate the camera when you have "External Trigger Falling Edge 0v selected". Have you hooked it up like the diagram above and tested it without success?

Glenn Lorimer

Joined Aug 15, 2018
Let me try it this way...

If you hook up the Opto (I am showing a 4n25 here, because I can't read your part number and I am assuming an analogous NPN out)
View attachment 170037

External operate should have a pos voltage and when you externally operate the LED, it will drop red to ~0V. That should operate the camera when you have "External Trigger Falling Edge 0v selected". Have you hooked it up like the diagram above and tested it without success?
Hi I need a digital 1 out 3-24vdc i really appreciate your help

Glenn Lorimer

Joined Aug 15, 2018
I think I’ve done it I will know for sure when I wire it in properly tomorrow as it still on a breadboard

I d just like to say a massive thank you to all that helped me

Glenn Lorimer

Joined Aug 15, 2018
Hi Raymond ive got the optocoupler working like a dream ive soldered wires on the optocoupler legs and resistors tested it on the bench and wired it into the machine and camera i have here set the software to raising edge etc downloaded all the parameters to the camera but the camera just sits there waiting for my trigger iv checked voltages and correct wiring over and over and its all good, are we certain this optocoupler gives me a 1 logic out?

kind regards Glenn

Hi Raymond ive got the optocoupler working like a dream ive soldered wires on the optocoupler legs and resistors tested it on the bench and wired it into the machine and camera i have here set the software to raising edge etc downloaded all the parameters to the camera but the camera just sits there waiting for my trigger iv checked voltages and correct wiring over and over and its all good, are we certain this optocoupler gives me a 1 logic out?

kind regards Glenn
Well that sux.

If I understand the instructions correctly, you should be able to operate the camera with the external setting on continuous (and probably some other modes) by simply manually connecting Red to Brown on the M12 using a button or just a wire. You may want to try that as a test.

If the above does not work, I would first verify that +24 (Brown) and GND (Blue) exists on the M12. If it does, I would look deeper into the camera software setup or even email/call them, because either I understand nothing about the external signal or your camera does not have that feature or I am missing something very very basic.

If the above does work, I suggest that you verify that the trigger circuit works without connecting it to the external trigger on the camera but with connections to power and gnd of the camera. Using a voltmeter with the leads on the line that will connect to the external trigger and GND (blue) , you should be able to see the level change that will go to the external trigger when you operate the LED in the opto (you can use a switch or whatever to operate that side of the opto).

I would also suggest that you draw out the circuit that you are using for the trigger and label all the connections. It can be a hand drawing that you take a pic of and post (jpg). I have suggested this before and I can not stress how important it is to do that because you want to get other eyes on it.

If you can do those things and let us know the results and post the drawing, it will help get to the bottom of this. That would be my approach.

Glenn Lorimer

Joined Aug 15, 2018
Hi Raymond i've tried all of the about that you have kindly mentioned.... i have drawn a quick comic of the Optocoupler circuit and attached it below in PDF format, i'm beginning to believe its something silly in the software for the camera even tho i've spent hours looking at it

Kind regards Glenn

Attachments

Yeah, it is frustrating even on my end and I don't even have the camera :)

I looked at a manual online and see a pretty straightforward setup for the external trigger for either offline or online mode. Note that after set up you go to LIVE mode to verify image collection. Do you have similar menus and are you going to LIVE mode for verification?

datavs2-ext trig.jpg

Glenn Lorimer

Joined Aug 15, 2018
Hi Grayham I really appreciate your help... yes I have the same menu as you’re seeing there... it seems like it should be straight forward.... I have no tech support off the manufacturer as I purchased the camera off eBay therefore they’re not obliged to help me after many attempts to make contact...

Hi Grayham I really appreciate your help... yes I have the same menu as you’re seeing there... it seems like it should be straight forward.... I have no tech support off the manufacturer as I purchased the camera off eBay therefore they’re not obliged to help me after many attempts to make contact...
I'm not sure when my name changed :) but if you have gone to LIVE after making the changes and you have verified the voltages on the M12 and the connections to the M12, this new bit of information may be significant.

That is, while I don't want to be pessimistic, it may be that you have a broken or EOM partial product. As it stands, you may be doing everything right but external trigger is gone or was never there and you have no way of knowing.

There is a price that you pay for saving a few bucks and sometimes it is more than a few bucks. Personally, I would be reluctant to buy an expensive camera like that without a warranty and qualification for some level of vendor support.

I will keep thinking about and let you know if I come up with anything, but I am not optimistic ;)