Digital Integrated Circuits

Ryan$

Joined Dec 14, 2018
Hi guys
I've already faced a problem in Software Programming which how "deleting/updating" data is going on PC, So I decided to learn by myself the switches {0,1} and how they work on PC .. anyone can advice me a good online book to read?! thanks guys

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
There are LOTS of online references that explain how MOSFET transistors work. These range from highly quantitative descriptions involving quantum mechanics and doping profiles and whatnot, to very qualitative descriptions aimed at middle school students that just aim to get the gist across, to everything in between. For your purposes, focus on sites that deal primarily with MOSFET transistors operating as a switch.

The basic concept is that you have region of the transistor, the channel, that can either be very high resistance (switch is "off") or relatively low resistance (switch is "on"). The channel connects the "drain" to the "source" of the transistor. Whether the channel is "on" or "off" depends on the voltage applied to the "gate" above the channel. In an N-type enchancement mode FET (NFET), a high voltage (relative to the source terminal) turns the channel "on", which in a P-type FET (PFET) the a low voltage turns it "on".

CMOS basically works by arranging these FET transistor switches in such a way that a logic signal turns on some transistors and turns off others, the net result generally being that the output pin is connected, via these switches, either to the positive supply or the negative supply at any given time.

Beyond that, start working through NAND-to-Tetris.

Ryan$

Joined Dec 14, 2018
May I ask over here my another question? will not post a thread for it.

if I have an inverter which Vin is like what's appeared on the photo down, my question is what happened at edges?! meaning "while getting vin on edges" what happened to "vout"? I may miss understanding the definition of edges.. !
for instance lets assume I have 1 until I arrive to edge so inverter will output 0 till I arrive to edge in vin, so what will be vout at that edge over inverter?!

thanks

Attachments

Norfindel

Joined Mar 6, 2008
I don't get what you mean with «"while getting vin on edges" what happened to "vout"». That phrase don't make a lot of sense to me. Also, if you post a schematic of the circuit, and clearly state what you don't understand, someone will be able to help you.

Ryan$

Joined Dec 14, 2018
What is your definition of an edge?
I don't know exactly what's edge (frankly) but I meant with it like this:
Code:
---------------------------

----------------------------
between the upper line and the beneath line there's an edge, a "disconnect" , so how inverter calculate that "disconnect" ?! thanks.

Ryan$

Joined Dec 14, 2018
I don't get what you mean with «"while getting vin on edges" what happened to "vout"». That phrase don't make a lot of sense to me. Also, if you post a schematic of the circuit, and clearly state what you don't understand, someone will be able to help you.
the edge is "disconnect" in vin to change/switch case from 1 to 0 .. see my last comment to figure out(I've explained it by two lines)

Ryan$

Joined Dec 14, 2018
To elaborate more to you guys :
I'm attaching here a photo which at V/2 there's an edge (because of disconnect cases), vin was 1 and then switched to 0, "switched" is converted to an edge (disconnect) so how the inverter deals with the edge? or actually do I care for edge? or just consider them as nullity?! thanks

Attachments

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Therein lies your problem. Your concept of an edge is flawed.
There is no "disconnect". There is never a "disconnect"..
You cannot get from point-A to point-B in zero time.
You must reconsider how you approach problems in electronics. There is no magic in the real world.
Every behaviour has real explanations and can be understood by applying real-world experiences.

Norfindel

Joined Mar 6, 2008
The inverter switches it's output from 1 to 0, in response from the input signal going from 0 to 1. That's the ideal behaviour. In reality, it takes a small time to switch states, and the voltage don't go instantly from 5v to 0v, but it falls really fast.
Generally, you don't need to be concerned about that.