Digital fan tester..

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
The Sunon site show nothing but two wire fans!
Max.
Over the years I have used plenty of Sunon Fans in all sizes and flavors and have to agree with Max in that I never saw a Sunon with 3 wire tach output.

As to the OP and testing of fans be they in circuit or on a test bench. You may want to start with a nice clean sheet of white paper and a sharp pencil (with an eraser). Look closely at the data sheet(s) for the fan(s) you want to test and from the data sheet(s) extract and write down which features you want to test or look at. Could be noise level, airflow, speed, and any other feature or specification. Next beside each item write down your intended test method as in how you plan to get the data and what you plan to do with the data, when we collect data we need to put it somewhere? You can write it down or automatically print it to a data base or spread sheet but it needs to go somewhere.

Since as was pointed out Sunon fans do not have a tachometer out I would think about speed detection as Analogkid pointed out. Use a simple speed pickup method which can be as simple as placing a reflective foil tape strip on the rotating mass.

Anyway, you need to start somewhere and deciding what you want to measure is a good start and then how you plan to measure it.

Just My Take....
Ron

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Sunon's better fans, the ones with ball bearings, are available with tach outputs in the larger sizes (80 mm - 120 mm). I'm not a fan of their fans because of MOQ's, but their reliability is ok.

ak

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
If I had to design a fan tester, I would be concerned about the following things:

1) airflow output
2) power consumption level (current)
3) rotor RPM
4) start up performance
5) static pressure output

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
the usually failure of pc type fans is the bearings going bad. monitoring the tach or temprature will tell you if the bearings are tightning up and slowing down the fan. by the way, do not clean the fans with an air hose, the fan will overspeed and cause the bearings to fail early.