Digital electronics book covering TTL circuits analysis

xxxyyyba

Joined Aug 7, 2012
I need suggestion for digital electronics book covering analysis of TTL logical circuits. In book I use, they show implementations of these circuits but didn't show analysis of all of them. They only analyzed TTL NAND circuit.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The need for analysis of ancient circuits has kinda passed you by. Most books from that era concentrated on how to apply those circuits, not how to design them. There is no need for anyone to design them anymore because they are certainly passed their useful life and I'm not sure they are making any new ones. They're probably going to stop making them at all in the near future.

ramancini8

Joined Jul 18, 2012
Hey Papabravo,
Don't get nasty! I designed the last discrete NAND gate for RCA in the mid sixties. Sometimes I still find it more cost effective to use a single transistor for a gate. You might not believe the number of calculations I had to make designing that circuit. Remember, when you are going to make millions of circuits cost is a critical design factor.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hey Papabravo,
Don't get nasty! I designed the last discrete NAND gate for RCA in the mid sixties. Sometimes I still find it more cost effective to use a single transistor for a gate. You might not believe the number of calculations I had to make designing that circuit. Remember, when you are going to make millions of circuits cost is a critical design factor.
@ramancini8 My hat is off to you, but I fail to see how truthiness is equivalent to nasty. Opinions are like stars and railroad ties -- there are millions of them.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Yeah, and most of them are wrong. By the way, I was only joking; please don't take life so serious.
Oh -- I don't; that is why the light hearted and possibly amusing response. I hold such artists and technical pioneers as yourself in the highest regard.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I need suggestion for digital electronics book covering analysis of TTL logical circuits. In book I use, they show implementations of these circuits but didn't show analysis of all of them. They only analyzed TTL NAND circuit.
Search: "databook" on archive.org - there's quite a few old books on TTL families, from the 7400 family to some very obscure ones no one's heard of.

Some of the books are pretty thorough in describing the fundamental principles.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Still got my hard-bound first editions. The only thing better than having a bible is being able to chat with one of the guys who wrote it.

ak
Still have my hard bound edition as well, but don't think it was the first edition. (Currently, I am one state away from the book.) Got it while I was in college. I was a math major, but my EE friends told me how to get a copy.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Still got my hard-bound first editions. The only thing better than having a bible is being able to chat with one of the guys who wrote it.

ak
I've still got mine. I guess hard bound databooks (eg. Fairchild's 1970 Current Sinking Logic) meant that they didn't expect to be revising them very often. Hoo boy was that ever a miscalculation!

xxxyyyba

Joined Aug 7, 2012
Hello, thanks for replies. I need to know how basic TTL logic gates work because they will give us some of them on exam and ask to find what is function of that circuit :) We need to do complete analysis of circuit, I mean we assume mode of operation of BJTs, find currents/voltages, prove that assumptions are correct...

Last edited:

xxxyyyba

Joined Aug 7, 2012
And here is circuit we got last time. We should find function of this circuit. And of course I didn't solve it :) They show on lectures analysis of only TTL NAND gate, but this is far complicated! So mi idea is to learn analysis of every TTL logic gate (NOR, AND, ...) and hope that they will give us some of them next time :)

k.png