Digital Concepts ACD3X motor controller inputs

Shotgun

Joined Sep 27, 2021
I pulled a 5Hp motor and controller out of a True Fitness Commercial Treadmill. The controller is by Digital Concepts and is marked ACD3X Rev2. I'm fishing here to see if I can get any pointer on controlling the motor for a 100yr old engine lathe.

So far, I've locate the 74HC14 on the board, which leads me to believe that it will take a 160-320Hz PWM signal like other Digital Concept boards. I do have one of the miniature generator for the signal. Just trying to figure out which pin to apply the signal to, and whether there are any other sensor inputs that I need to work around.

The motor is a MaxDrive. Part number 7-196230-01. Really nice motor, so I'm also looking for other ways to control it.

amarlow

Joined Apr 24, 2009
I pulled a 5Hp motor and controller out of a True Fitness Commercial Treadmill. The controller is by Digital Concepts and is marked ACD3X Rev2. I'm fishing here to see if I can get any pointer on controlling the motor for a 100yr old engine lathe.

So far, I've locate the 74HC14 on the board, which leads me to believe that it will take a 160-320Hz PWM signal like other Digital Concept boards. I do have one of the miniature generator for the signal. Just trying to figure out which pin to apply the signal to, and whether there are any other sensor inputs that I need to work around.

The motor is a MaxDrive. Part number 7-196230-01. Really nice motor, so I'm also looking for other ways to control it.
@Shotgun -- Did you make any progress on the effort? I have just pulled the same board from a similar Matrix MX-T5x treadmill, plus a Johnson Integrated Drives motor, model JM11-001. (The plate reads "H.P. = 3HP; DRIVE SYSTEM = 5HP..." Not sure what that means.) I am wanting to use the controller & motor to drive either a (homemade) 20in disk sander, or 2x72 belt sander, or maybe both. Any insight you might give will be appreciated. I do most of this sort of thing at Maker-Works.org here in Ann Arbor. We have a large engine lathe that sees very little use. Any chance you are nearby? in SE Mich?

Thanks for your time.
~Allen