digital clock design, need guidance!!

babyshark

Joined Nov 2, 2010
Task:
using a simulator i should Design a digital clock using 7-segment displays. The clock should display hour, minute and seconds. I'm a bit lost need help don't need anyone to do my assignment just need to fully understand how i should approach this, where to start and so on. please, basics people.how many inputs and outputs are required if i'm using a 24hr design. using kmap to ascertain how many AND and OR gates. help !! please

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The basic clock is simply a set of counters. 0 -59 for seconds and minutes, 1 -23 for hours. Just come up with a one second pulse to drive the seconds counter. as each counter goes back to zero, it also pulses the next one in the chain.

babyshark

Joined Nov 2, 2010
english please!!! i recently started this course. how many inputs and outputs i need to know this first of all so that i can construct my truth table thanks

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Let me suggest that before the truth table you think of those counters that count seconds, minutes and hours. What does each need as an input?

Make life simpler by using BCD counters, so the count may be aplied directly to a BCD - 7 segment driver to run the displays.

The process of counting seconds, minutes, and hours is awfully straightforward.

haykp

Joined Oct 7, 2010
I believe the John Wakerly "Digital Design Principles and Practices" book Chapter 7 would be very helpful for you.
Also have you decided in which hdl language are you going to design the digital clock, is it Verilog or Vhdl?