Digital Circuits

The_Stewie

Joined Dec 6, 2011
Hi all,

It's 20 to midnight, so obviously I'm desperate!

I'm very new to digital circuits and I just don't get how to change this circuit from OR and AND gates to NAND and/or NOR gates, without complicating the circuit further:

F=SL+SI+SC+CIL

Any help with this would be much appreciated, at this desperate hour.

If it helps at all, the original expression was:

F=S'LCI+SL'C'I+SL'CI'+SL'CI+SLC'I'+SLC'I+SLCI'+SLCI

I used k-map to reduce it, pretty confident I did THAT bit right, just can't convert it ... confused.com

Cheers guys
Stew

RiJoRI

Joined Aug 15, 2007
This is probably too late, but:

I check the K-map results with a truth table. If the reduced result is the same as the un-reduced result, I've done it right.

"SL+SI+SC+CIL" can be further simplified as S*(L+I+C)+CIL.

I'd then draw the positive logic circuit; after which I'd apply DeMorgan's theorems:
A+B = /(/A*/B) and A*B = /(/A+/B)

Let us know how it all turned out!

--Rich

The_Stewie

Joined Dec 6, 2011
Thank You so much

I didn't even think to simplify it further, I got my K-Map result and thought that was it - job done! I suppose that's midnight problem solving for you :p

Still not sure why using NAND gates makes the circuit simpler though, I'm gonna need more components to make the circuit work???

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
glad you figured it out. About NAND gates - it's not so much about the amount of gates you use as it is about the fact that you use the same type of gate. And since most chips come with multiple gates anyway, if you can turn a circuit that uses say inverter and an AND gate into a circuit that uses only NAND gates you will need one chip instead of two. That's the logic behind the logic...

The_Stewie

Joined Dec 6, 2011
Thanks to all who helped,

I've managed to complete my assignment and discovered the reason we use NAND gates is because we are going to be using IC7400's in our practicals, which only contain NAND gates :)

Cheers guys
- Stew