Digital Caliper will not turn on

yellowfish

Joined Feb 9, 2009
Hi
I have a Fowler 12" digital caliper PN: 54-100-112 that does not turn on anymore. I rarely used it, it is in like new condition. After the last use, I put it away in it's original case. Stored at room temperature in a dry place for a year. Recently I had to use it and it wouldn't turn on. I tried two new batteries with no success. The LCD display stays blank. Is there any procedure to bring it back to live? Please help.

peterdeco

Joined Oct 8, 2019
Unless it got zapped with static electricity, the only thing I can think of is to clean the battery contacts. I use acetone and a cotton swab. You can use rubbing alcohol but be careful. Rubbing alcohol has water in it and you don't want it to drench any circuit board inside.

yellowfish

Joined Feb 9, 2009
Unless it got zapped with static electricity, the only thing I can think of is to clean the battery contacts...
I took it apart and indeed one battery contact was broken off. It was made off very thin metal plate. There was also a tear in the small flex PCB for the push buttons. All looked as it was repaired a few times. Since it was a low quality tool, I tossed the electronic unit and will used it as a mechanical caliper. Thanks for the help.