Differentiating objects

Abu Bakr Ehab

Joined Mar 2, 2016
So first of all I just want to point out that I am new to electronics, so cut me some slack. I am trying to find a sensor that I could differentiate objects with remotely at a distance of like 2 m. I thought of maybe heat, width or length sensors. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Need a lot more information. For instance, would you expect a "length" sensor to be able to differentiate a red cube from an identically sized blue cube?

Abu Bakr Ehab

Joined Mar 2, 2016
I created a radar, and I need the radar to id or separate objects, by "objects" I mean anything in the radar's range. I would expect each different object to be treated as a new object to the radar.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
So in your first post you said that you were trying to find a sensor to use and listed several non-radar options. Now, about nine hours later, you are saying that you've already created a radar and are using it. What gives?

Is a barbell one object? Two? Three? Are the blades on a helicopter separate objects, or are they part of the larger "helicopter" object?

You can't be simplistic when trying to solve problems like this.

Abu Bakr Ehab

Joined Mar 2, 2016
Ok, I'm sorry. I'll try to make it clear. The radar was already done. I created it using an IR proximity sensor mounter over a stepper motor. The sensor's maximum range is 1.5m. The sensors rotates 360 degrees then backwards 360 degrees. When sensing an object, I calculate the x,y values of the object. What I wanted is a sensor I could mount with the IR sensor to maybe id each object to differentiate between other ones.

Again, I am very sorry, I didn't make it clear.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Image or pattern recognition with a radar return signal is very difficult and extremely computer-intensive. It's not a matter of figuring out what the shape is; there is no shape. It is a one-dimensional image, and you are trying to extract 2 dimensional information.

ak

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
Ok, I'm sorry. I'll try to make it clear. The radar was already done. I created it using an IR proximity sensor mounter over a stepper motor. The sensor's maximum range is 1.5m. The sensors rotates 360 degrees then backwards 360 degrees. When sensing an object, I calculate the x,y values of the object. What I wanted is a sensor I could mount with the IR sensor to maybe id each object to differentiate between other ones.

Again, I am very sorry, I didn't make it clear.
You need to be much clearer in your descriptions, IR is not RADAR. You originally mentioned detecting objects 2m away but now you say the sensor's maximum range is 1.5m.... and you still haven't defined "object". Your lack of electronics knowledge is not the problem here.

Last edited: