Differences between DRV8844 and SN754410 half-H bridges

Agripa

Joined May 4, 2018
Dear colleagues,

I am planning to use one of them to provide bidirectional control to two motors (drive currents less than 1A @ 12VDC), so they can rotate in the two ways. I've gone over two options by TI: DRV8844 and SN754410 (datasheets linked).

The point is that despite technical specifications describe both ICs as quadrupole half-H bridges, I'm not sure if they implement the same circuitry at component level.

SN754410 datasheet is more complete on schematics, from which I can understand they implement TTL logic to drive the current using Darlington pairs and single transistors. On the other hand, DRV8844 datasheets are not generous in schematics, so I cannot check if they use the same logic or, but on the contrary, they implement some other technology.

¿Could you give me a light on this issue?

Thank you very much in advance.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I'm familiar with the 754410, it was made as a pin for pin replacement for the L293, that used new tech and dropped less current in the chip. Both of them are through hole chips. The 8844 is a new one to me, and looks like just scanning the data sheet to be similar but just a surface mount only version.

What difference does it make if they use different "internal tech" to do the job? Don't quite understand why that makes a difference. The main thing to look at, and I didn't, is do the pins do the same thing. Do the controls work the same is the main thing, not the internal technology of the chip. I'm assuming that your wanting to make a circuit that was for through hole parts originally but want to do it with surface mount parts.

Agripa

Joined May 4, 2018
Thank you very much for your answer. You are right, I want to make a circuit that was initially for through hole parts but now I want to do it with surface mount parts.

After go over the datasheets again finally I checked both ICs do the same job, so I'll go for the 8844 as a replacement of the 754410 for the SMD version.