Difference between this 40$ throttle and ebay potentiometer?

Cyrus Mingley

Joined Apr 18, 2020
Is there a difference between this throttle http://www.thesuperkids.com/curriethrottle.html and a 5k ohm potentiometer from ebay? The throttle is 40$ but a potentiometer is much cheaper on ebay. It's for a bldc motor with a built in speed controller that requires a 5k ohm potentiometer. I'm not sure if the potentiometer would work for my purpose since the motor is 24v 400w and the controller is presumably with with built in current limit of 30 amps.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
The potentiometer needs to pass only a few mA, not Amps. The only reasons I can think of for the high price is either (a) it's a rip-off, (b) it has a non-standard resistance track or (c) it is designed for particularly heavy duty.

Cyrus Mingley

Joined Apr 18, 2020
The potentiometer needs to pass only a few mA, not Amps. The only reasons I can think of for the high price is either (a) it's a rip-off, (b) it has a non-standard resistance track or (c) it is designed for particularly heavy duty.
Okay, I understand. I'll do some research, and i'm guessing its probably a ripoff, or its because its old. What's a non standard resistance track? I've never worked with potentiometers before. I don't need anything super heavy duty either.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Linear is the same resistance change per degree of rotation, Logrithmic has a small change at one end and a large change at over half way.

Cyrus Mingley

Joined Apr 18, 2020
There are different log tapers, not just one. They are typically used for audio volume controls.

The $40.00 potentiometer contains a lot more bits and it's potted or sealed from the elements like water.
Using indoors, no need to worry about water. What sort of bits are we talking about? I need this for motor control, preferably to get myself from 0 to 100 slowly, it's for a lathe