Difference between these 2 notebook processors if possible by people who tested them

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
I am looking at laptops with these processors, and I see that the worst on is with a higher price, while the better one is with a lower price. Can anyone give a valid reason, because I do not want to buy a notebook which will be with problems again. Like my current A2-1800 AMD processors, that is weak and despite being weak is also overheating.

The processors are I5-2520M and I5-520M, the notebooks are respectively Dell Latitude E6320 and Dell Latitude E4310.
https://ark.intel.com/compare/47341,52229

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I'd get neither.

The current 8th generation Core processors are light-years better than anything else I have used -- low power and fast.

My Lenovo Yoga 920 weighs about 3 Lbs., runs anything I throw at it, and the battery lasts all day (and night!).

Granted, you pay for it. But in this case, it was worth it!

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
I am looking at laptops with these processors, and I see that the worst on is with a higher price, while the better one is with a lower price. Can anyone give a valid reason, because I do not want to buy a notebook which will be with problems again. Like my current A2-1800 AMD processors, that is weak and despite being weak is also overheating.

The processors are I5-2520M and I5-520M, the notebooks are respectively Dell Latitude E6320 and Dell Latitude E4310.
https://ark.intel.com/compare/47341,52229
Does anyone even sell these anymore?

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
I looked at info at the link u posted.

Am I understanding correctly that laptop with 520m has lower performance and cost more?

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Yes. At least when I compare the processors from ark.intel.com, it seems like the 2520M is better?

EDIT: I took this PIC from a computer group of google plus, and I like it :D.
Notice the release dates. 520M came out a year earlier and it has two sockets. It looks like it might have been the initial leap step from which later models were developed. If I am right, then developing the 520M was more expansive than later models that were based on it, intel than passed the higher development costs to the builders, who in turn passed them on to us, the consumers. Even used, the lease supplier would have wanted more money for these used off lease laptops to recover a greater portion of their initial investment. So whoever is selling these used/refurbished laptops wants more for them.

That is my best guess.

adelage

Joined Aug 22, 2014
The difference between the two intel cpus won't be noticeable, but depending on your needs and your budget I would rather get something a bit newer, also it would be useful if you tell us what kind of software you are going to use

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
MPLAB, CCS PIC C, Proteus, Orcad, Chrome, Starcraft Broodwar, Warcraft 3, KiCad, Arduino, MikroC (maybe), Vmware player 12.1. Even my old desktop Sempron 3200+ was working better then these dual core junk things called processors now a days.

If I could find one, I would buy an old Esprimo notebook, with a real graphical chip inside of the real Nvidia, not the junk they call Nvidia today.

Budget: 200 dollars

Last edited:

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
MPLAB, CCS PIC C, Proteus, Orcad, Chrome, Starcraft Broodwar, Warcraft 3, KiCad, Arduino, MikroC (maybe), Vmware player 12.1. Even my old desktop Sempron 3200+ was working better then these dual core junk things called processors now a days. Everything after the real original AMD athlon and Pentium 4 is much worst. They even try to remove the graphical processor, by creating the new better super, mega "optimus technology" which will switch between the built-in GPU and the main processor. This is the worst decision that can be made for graphics in order for someone to sell the new Yoga tablet or Microsoft Surface Pro plastic junk which costs 10 dollars to produce, 50 dollars with all the import from India and China taxes and everything else and then we add the other 1000 USD because it is the new model......... And please do not tell me that the machines cost a lot, because these machines are already paid for 10 or 100 times. I really love it when I see how a company says we give 300 million for expenses, only for the worker's salaries. Then I calculate 300 mil/their workers and we get that a worker should receive 250 000 dollars, when a worker receives 500 dollars. Sorry if my tone is offensive, but I know too well how the economics go, especially of the junk AMD and Intel. They think like this: we will make it as bad as we can (Windows Vista, Windows 8, Windows 10) and then we will give them a 0.1% better model and tell them this is the new model it has 4 cores so pay 500 dollars, when the production price is 5 dollars (the production price for a PIC or Intel is the same, the machines are the same, the technology is the same). Or even better: we will produce a display with 256 mil colours, we will tell them it is the new model, pay 50 times more, but the human eye can see 10 colors and 10 000 shades of colors (any idiot with a computer, can take the 7 colours of the rainbow, and check how many shades or RED he will see, I give him a 1000 per colour) and let us not start on the 5% efficincy of the intel/AMD processors.

If I could find one, I would buy an old Esprimo notebook, with a real graphical chip inside of the real Nvidia, not the junk they call Nvidia today.
It would be much better if AMD and Intel would quit the CPU business, allowing you to produce them far better and cheaper. You could even pay your employees more.

I am sorry they've been holding you down.

There oughta be a law...