Difference between Class D Amplifier and Half Bridge

artmaster547

Joined Jan 6, 2016
Hi All
Would anyone mind explaining what the difference between a Class D amplifier and Half bridge is? To me they appear to be the same thing would appreciate any clarification.

Kind Regards
Art

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
A half bridge is one way you might implement the output stage of a class D amplifier An H-bridge is another, with the former being used with a bipolar supply and the latter with a single supply.

Both of these bridges are also used for other things, like motor drivers and inverters.

So, no, they are not the same thing as a class D amplifier.

Bob

artmaster547

Joined Jan 6, 2016
A half bridge is one way you might implement the output stage of a class D amplifier An H-bridge is another, with the former being used with a bipolar supply and the latter with a single supply.

Both of these bridges are also used for other things, like motor drivers and inverters.

So, no, they are not the same thing as a class D amplifier.

Bob
ok thank I think the clarifies so a class D amplifier can be implemented using a half bridge or full bridge but not every half bridge structure is a class D amplifier

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
ok thank I think the clarifies so a class D amplifier can be implemented using a half bridge or full bridge but not every half bridge structure is a class D amplifier
Yes.
Class D amplification is a specific application for a bridge circuit.
Class D just means that an AC signal is being generated by a switching amplifier.