Difference between AC and DC signal

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The meaning of AC and DC depends on the context. Either explanation given above can be applied depending on the context of usage.

1) From a frequency domain perspective, DC is zero frequency, AC is non-zero frequency

2) From a time domain perspective, DC never changes sign. AC has sign reversal.

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
A DC signal, can mean a varying DC level, such as the output from an analogue sensor. For example, the output from a thermo-couple will vary with temperature etc.

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The meaning of AC and DC depends on the context.
Bingo.

For instance the power coming off a full wave rectifier can be called DC even though it has a huge voltage swing. But the current does not reverse direction.

Pure DC is almost an abstract concept, since any DC source will likely have some noise in it and that noise can be called the AC component. Likewise an AC signal might contain an offset, a DC component.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
My personal perception and the one I have always adhered to has always been the 'Alternating' refers to the current change in Direction through the conductor.
Max.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Here is an example of where AC may or may not change direction.
When analyzing an amplifier circuit, there are two types of analyses, DC and AC.

In DC analysis, one studies the current and voltages of the steady-state conditions, quiescent or non-quiescent.
In AC analysis, one studies the signal amplification. The input and output signals need not change sign.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
My personal perception and the one I have always adhered to has always been the 'Alternating' refers to the current change in Direction through the conductor.
That seems too restrictive.
It means you can't call a varying signal riding on a DC level, such as in an AC amplifier "AC" whereas in practice it is always an AC signal.
To me, if you can see it using the AC coupling on an oscilloscope, it's "AC".

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Max.
That feels right, but the problem is that a varying voltage can very easily be explored to produce an alternating current, for instance with a single capacitor to couple.